anyone ever get a bare 700r case from monster transmission?

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by 89XM, May 19, 2020.

1. Frank Compagnon

Frank Compagnon Supporting Member

I believe the aluminum cover was on the 4l80 and plastic on the 4l60 transmissions, I have a couple of each on the shelve and both 4l80s have aluminum covers.

2. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful I'm Awesome

I have the four-bolt tin can cover. I don't recall seeing bolt holes for a six-bolt cover. Of course, no guarantee mine's stock.

3. Tinbanger1979

Tinbanger1979 Newbie

I have a Monster 4L80E in my 454 big block suburban and it works great. The first transmission they sent me had no reverse from the start, I sent it back and a week later another transmission arrived. They covered all the freight and my labor. But should have had reverse from the get go if they test there transmissions as they told me when I ordered it.

4. Erik the Awful

+1 on the 'should have had'. A professional transmission builder has to dyno test every transmission before it leaves if they want a good reputation. Did they promise a dyno test, or did they just say they 'test every transmission'. It's one thing to apply air to the circuits to make sure the clutches engage. It's quite a bit more important to spin the transmission and make sure it pumps fluid at the right pressures and turns the output shaft in every gear.

5. gric_az

gric_az OBS Enthusiast

I wish the prices were like that here in AZ. I found some practically new with surface rust rotors for my 88 4x4. Suckers wanted 25 a piece for them. I showed em autozone price for new was the same. They didn't budge so I left.

PlayingWithTBI likes this.
  6. Erik the Awful

The Pull-A-Part here is an independent that's been around forever. They're wonderfully inexpensive. The LKQ is about 50% higher and on the opposite side of town from me. We also have yards that charge dealership prices and still manage to make money. It pays to shop around.

7. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

My '88 K1500 also.

I've got a spare one of those sitting on a shelf in the barn. They came to me with broken bolts in the bosses that the struts going to the motor mounts bolt to. Broken bolts gone, threads still good. Keeping one for a potential future project.

PM if interested.