anyone ever get a bare 700r case from monster transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful which case you get. Cases out of cars have the 4 bolt plastic inspection cover while trucks have a 6 bolt aluminum one. I had that happen to me with Transmission Depot when I bought my stage 2 trans even though I told them it was for a truck.
I believe the aluminum cover was on the 4l80 and plastic on the 4l60 transmissions, I have a couple of each on the shelve and both 4l80s have aluminum covers.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the four-bolt tin can cover. I don't recall seeing bolt holes for a six-bolt cover. Of course, no guarantee mine's stock.

Tinbanger1979

Reaction score
^ This.

Also after the horror stores I've read on various forums you couldn't pay me to run anything from Monster Transmission. Spend some time on car-part.com and make a few phone calls, I'm sure some yards in your area have good cases available, probably already pulled and ready to go.
I have a Monster 4L80E in my 454 big block suburban and it works great. The first transmission they sent me had no reverse from the start, I sent it back and a week later another transmission arrived. They covered all the freight and my labor. But should have had reverse from the get go if they test there transmissions as they told me when I ordered it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the 'should have had'. A professional transmission builder has to dyno test every transmission before it leaves if they want a good reputation. Did they promise a dyno test, or did they just say they 'test every transmission'. It's one thing to apply air to the circuits to make sure the clutches engage. It's quite a bit more important to spin the transmission and make sure it pumps fluid at the right pressures and turns the output shaft in every gear.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Local self service yard gets $75 for an entire transmission with a $20 core charge. Buy one from a wreck and you'll know it was still running. Just make sure the wreck wasn't bad enough to shove the driveshaft into the tail.
I wish the prices were like that here in AZ. I found some practically new with surface rust rotors for my 88 4x4. Suckers wanted 25 a piece for them. I showed em autozone price for new was the same. They didn't budge so I left.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pull-A-Part here is an independent that's been around forever. They're wonderfully inexpensive. The LKQ is about 50% higher and on the opposite side of town from me. We also have yards that charge dealership prices and still manage to make money. It pays to shop around.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 88 C1500 came with one.
My '88 K1500 also.

Here's the cover
img_0777-jpg.219581
I've got a spare one of those sitting on a shelf in the barn. They came to me with broken bolts in the bosses that the struts going to the motor mounts bolt to. Broken bolts gone, threads still good. Keeping one for a potential future project.

PM if interested.