Anybody see this before??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish by cutting the drum off?

How do you plan to get the new drum back on?

The drum comes off by removing the axle shaft, then the drum, hub, and bearings as an assembly, then knocking out the lug studs that "rivet" the drum to the inside of the hub. It's a genuine pain in the ass; fixed (I have heard) on newer-model axles that put the drum on the other side of the hub.

I'd rather hear this from someone who knows what they're doing, but the way I remember it, cutting cast iron with Oxy-Acetylene is a biitch--unlike steel.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The drum comes off by removing the axle shaft, then the drum, hub, and bearings as an assembly, then knocking out the lug studs that "rivet" the drum to the inside of the hub. It's a genuine pain in the ass; fixed (I have heard) on newer-model axles that put the drum on the other side of the hub.

I'd rather hear this from someone who knows what they're doing, but the way I remember it, cutting cast iron with Oxy-Acetylene is a biitch--unlike steel.
I'm with you on cutting off trade with China. But if we did, or could, you wouldn't be able to buy hardly anything. The long-shoremen on the coast are making over $150,000 a year unloading all the container ships so they wouldn't be too happy. I heard how much they made on tv, maybe 60 Minutes or some show like that. The guys operating the cranes are the ones making that much but I'm sure the rest of them aren't too far behind.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cant really tell just how thick that is, from your pics, but most likely you needed a #1 tip. A 0 is small, and is for steel up to about 3/16. #1 up to about 1/2 thick maybe a little thicker if you move slowly and turn the oxy pressure up, and a 3 is big enough to cut 2 inch thick metal. Everybody thinks you set the oxy pressure at 40 and your good for everything, but thats not true. With a small tip on thin steel, I set my oxy at 30 a lot of the time. 40 works good up to about 1/2 thick, 60 is good for up to about 1 inch thick. I have cut with 80 psi on the oxy before. Hell I have even cranked it to 120 with a #4 wash tip for extra thick nasty rusty dirty painted metal. But from what you describe you were just tring to move to fast. Once the steel starts to melt, hit the trigger, and move slow enough to not out run the melting steel. Oh, and as for acc pressures, 15 is good for cutting and heating most metal, but get a big rose bud, and if you need a lot of heat I crank the acc up as high as it will go. I know anything above 15 PSI on acc and it becomes unstable, but some times 15 PSI just wont get the job done

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0 is small, for steel up to about 3/16... ...With a small tip on thin steel... Once the steel starts to melt, hit the trigger, and move slow enough to not out run the melting steel.
Are things different for cast iron vs. steel? I thought they were, but I haven't cut cast iron in ages.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are things different for cast iron vs. steel? I thought they were, but I haven't cut cast iron in ages.
Its still basically the same, but cast does cut funny. Its not going to leave a real nice clean edge like steel will. It will also dissipate the heat differently.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

The drum was stuck, I already tried pulling the drum the right way by pulling the axle and gutting out the wheel bearings inside but there was no movement at all, even with a sledge hammer... the shoes were completely frozen to the drum. Thus cutting it off was the last option. The axle now spins free and the new drum and backing plate should go on like any other new part now

Thanks Kenny! Reading your comments, I think I went away from the #1 tip to quickly, I should have played around with pressures and technique more on that tip. I knew #1 was the right size but I stepped up to brute force #3 prematurely.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Got the 37" tires today!!! Imagine this except with tire chains, wheel wells cut and hammered and the truck riding level :grd:

Attachments

• 20210716_180136.jpg
    20210716_180136.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210716_180129.jpg
    20210716_180129.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210716_180115.jpg
    20210716_180115.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 29

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to suggest you get some smaller front wheels, but I think you had already ordered those larger tires...

Have you tried it in 4x4 mode?

What's the next upgrade? Transmission? SAS?