Anybody see this before??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Step 1 done

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I know what the right choice is with the pics below but regearing the front is my bigest holdup.

Can anybody tell me what size tire I would need in the back to compensate for a 4.10 ratio? The front isn't a 3.73, it's the one below that, 3.53??? It's around 3 and a half when I rotate the axle. The front tires are 30.5" or 245/75r16

I'm imagining taking some leaves out of the spring pack and doing a lot of trimming on the box to make them fit.

There is a farm and auto auction near me that I might be able to find 8 bolt wheels with the correct size tires if they are a common size like 33s or some

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just found this hairline crack on my 14b ff ... it's on the top side of the filler (pipe fitting pictured).

Is this something I can drill holes at the ends then braze and be ok? I'm just not sure why it's there in the first place, is that a stress point???

Attachments

• 20210617_203417.jpg
    20210617_203417.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210617_203421.jpg
    20210617_203421.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 14

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I was going to fix this, the first thing I would do, is a spark test to ID what the metal is for sure. It mite be cast steel. If so, then it can be welded with 7018 stick welding rods, or 70s6 wire or tig wire. But here is the thing. First off, yes drill a hole on each side. Then preheat the part, then weld and let cool very slowly. Then add a gusset for support. It cracked for a reason ( touch stress) so it needs extra support. There are videos in youtube about the spark test. If you do braze this, that may work for a while, but would be the weakest type of welding repair.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just found this hairline crack on my 14b ff ... it's on the top side of the filler (pipe fitting pictured).

Is this something I can drill holes at the ends then braze and be ok? I'm just not sure why it's there in the first place, is that a stress point???
That elbow looks like an overfill waiting to happen.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I was going to fix this, the first thing I would do, is a spark test to ID what the metal is for sure. It mite be cast steel. If so, then it can be welded with 7018 stick welding rods, or 70s6 wire or tig wire. But here is the thing. First off, yes drill a hole on each side. Then preheat the part, then weld and let cool very slowly. Then add a gusset for support. It cracked for a reason ( touch stress) so it needs extra support. There are videos in youtube about the spark test. If you do braze this, that may work for a while, but would be the weakest type of welding repair.
MAYBE a 6010 first pass for good penetration and a 7018 cap