Anybody see this before??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
LOL you guys!

Nobody caught the tire chains yet... it's slightly modified for one specific purpose.

This pic is how it sits with about 2 tons of bricks in the bed (yes around 4000lbs!), do you see in the pics earlier how close those bump stops are to the axle.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Like I said, this axle has lived a hard life!

I already have a 14b FF sitting here to swap in but is this axle even fixable? Can I re-clock it and weld the tubes straight or is it junk now? I am hesitant to swap the 14b because it's a different gear ratio than the front so Ill have to regear the front. And it's from a dually so it'll need some modifications to make it fit...

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
BTW, this truck only leaves my driveway to plow my direct neighbors driveway, it only gets up to 2 or 3 mph top speed.

And when the axle wrapped I was pulling a stump out of my lake. It's got more pulling power than any tractor I have

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL you guys!

Nobody caught the tire chains yet... it's slightly modified for one specific purpose.

This pic is how it sits with about 2 tons of bricks in the bed (yes around 4000lbs!), do you see in the pics earlier how close those bump stops are to the axle.

Hell yeah! 'Murica!

Is the axle tube deformed or corroded? If not, then you can just order new hardware and run it.

Eventually with that load and that rust, will probably bend the frame in half, but seems like it doesn't leave your property, so no problem.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hell yeah! 'Murica!

Is the axle tube deformed or corroded? If not, then you can just order new hardware and run it.

Eventually with that load and that rust, will probably bend the frame in half, but seems like it doesn't leave your property, so no problem.

Murica!! Yea already done that and fixed it... for now. Frame repair was last summers project. It's now about 1" thick at the weak spots.

Edit: the axle looks fine besides one side twisted and the other straight

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went back a saw your photos again...so I think you are saying that one axle shaft has rotated relative to the other axle shaft? Is that what you mean when you say "clocked?"

I suppose it's possible the axle shafts yielded plastically (permanently) with that load in torsion (torque.) Basically, they can twist along the longitudinal axis of the tube. Can you inspect them and see any rust flaking that indicates this? Also inspect the shaft at the pumpkin. I think they join them by doing like a puddle weld in a few spots.

Are you over your rear axle weight rating? The full float axle is MEANT for this kind of load.

Maybe try pushing that stump back into the lake in reverse, LOL. I'm joking...but I've seen steel columns on warehouses that got hit accidentally by forklift drivers, then they went around the other side and tried to hit them again to try to straighten them out! LOL

Last edited:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As cheap as rear ends are out of a junkyard, buy a clean one and put the insides of yours in it. No more twisted axle shaft tubes

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s what I did when I bent my shock mount and my tubes.