any transmission wizards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some info here....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_transmissions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L80-E_transmission

.....but over my few months of membership here and reading the transmission threads and debates there's a lot of differences in how the 60 and 80s operate. Gets pretty complicated pretty quickly!
For sure, the consensus around here is that the 4L80E is the preferred box and 4L60Es have a reputation for frailty. (I only know what I read here!).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are differences between the 700R4 and 4L60. It was more than just an 'update', but both transmissions still use mostly the same parts. It doesn't help that even reputable builders have conflicting information on which transmissions came when.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
At the three and four minute marks he talks about the major difference between the 700 and 4L60.

I am neck deep in a Nissan VQ35DE and have, so far 68 ziplock bags of tagged parts.
Ugh. IIRC, the VQ30s had 22 bolts on the timing chain cover, and 18 bolts holding it to the engine. Good luck!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are differences between the 700R4 and 4L60. It was more than just an 'update', but both transmissions still use mostly the same parts. It doesn't help that even reputable builders have conflicting information on which transmissions came when.

At the three and four minute marks he talks about the major difference between the 700 and 4L60.

Ugh. IIRC, the VQ30s had 22 bolts on the timing chain cover, and 18 bolts holding it to the engine. Good luck!
Yep. Its real hard to pass that along because everybody reads articles about how they are all the same.
And then guys come to this forum and get bullshit advice from people who have naver pulled one much less rebuilt one.
Then they take the truck to friggen joe blows tranny shop and get ripped by morons.
And it cooks 3 months later, and that dude is screwed and out about 2500 to 3000 bucks.
Because he came here and got **** advice.
Awesome post brother!

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you tell me what the differences are between the 4l60, 4l60E, and 4l80E? I'm new to obs trucks and mechanics in general so I'm trying to learn. Thanks
Yep. the 4l60 is a cable operated 4 speed auto with an electronic controlled locking torque converter.
It was the last design of the 700R4
It roots are in the Turbo Hyrdo 350.

The 4l60E is elecronically controlled instead of cable controlled
The 4l80 is the end design of the turbo 400.
Built for heavier use but sucks about 40 horse to make it pump

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A massive pain. It all came down to a chain tensioner that had the filter screen in sideways in the passage.
Friggen Nissan!
I think it has more miles on the trailer behind the truck than it has on its own wheels.
Plus, I have to fix it between recalls.
But, its an 03 titanium se and, when it runs, its an absolute blast of a car

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
A massive pain. It all came down to a chain tensioner that had the filter screen in sideways in the passage.
Friggen Nissan!
I think it has more miles on the trailer behind the truck than it has on its own wheels.
Plus, I have to fix it between recalls.
But, its an 03 titanium se and, when it runs, its an absolute blast of a car

When I worked in Nissan parts I used to sell chains for those daily. And CVTs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Its real hard to pass that along because everybody reads articles about how they are all the same.
And then guys come to this forum and get bullshit advice from people who have naver pulled one much less rebuilt one.
Then they take the truck to friggen joe blows tranny shop and get ripped by morons.
And it cooks 3 months later, and that dude is screwed and out about 2500 to 3000 bucks.
Because he came here and got **** advice.
Awesome post brother!
Wow..

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're right. That post was rude and uncalled for and I apologize for that.
I have learned a lot from the members of this forum and I do believe that most are doing all they can to be helpfull.
All I can say is that life in Seattle has gotten rather interesting of late and, like everyone else in the world, I let the stress get to me.
My apologies folks. Ill attempt to not be an ass in the future.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're right. That post was rude and uncalled for and I apologize for that.
I have learned a lot from the members of this forum and I do believe that most are doing all they can to be helpfull.
All I can say is that life in Seattle has gotten rather interesting of late and, like everyone else in the world, I let the stress get to me.
My apologies folks. Ill attempt to not be an ass in the future.
No worries. I'm no stranger to being an ass myself from time to time :D I just try to aim better. I don't think we're fundamentally in disagreement on the topic, just into the finer details of it because you're more experienced in the particular field than I am.

Richard