any transmission wizards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
4wd trucks needed an input to the PCM for 4-lo so they could shift properly in low range. Obviously not a problem in 2wd.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine swapping a 7427 PCM will do the trick plus, there's threads that show how to swap from a 7747 ECM all over the place. I almost did it before I got the EBL.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the problem with talking to trans shops about the 4L60
They either think its an "E" and you are stupid, or you mention the TV cable and they think its a 700R4 and you are stupid.
A lot of people have never even heard of a 4L60 much less rebuilt one.
They actually think its some kind of a myth like bigfoot
So, the guy who told you its a 4L60E is a jabroni
Dont let that guy near it.
If they dont know what it is, they sure as **** cant rebuild it.
There are some major differences between a 700R4 and a 4l60 and a 4L60E
If it comes down to a rebuild, which I suspect it will. I would take a long hard look at what it takes to put in a built 700R4 before putting any cash into the 4L60.
But get the TV cable figured out first.
And just keep in mind that the standard answer from a trans shop is always "You need a rebuild"
Probably, you do
Just dont let chimps do the job
Man I'm really perplexed by this "700R4 isn't a 4L60" conversation. I totally understand the difference between the 4L60E and its earlier non-electronic cousins. But a 700R4 and a 4L60 are the same transmission, just GM updated the naming convention. Now if someone tries to tell you a 4L60 and a 4L60E are the same, yeah, that's a dummy right there. They have a lot of similarities as they are born from the same basic design but they are very much not the same.

Richard

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I'm really perplexed by this "700R4 isn't a 4L60" conversation. I totally understand the difference between the 4L60E and its earlier non-electronic cousins. But a 700R4 and a 4L60 are the same transmission, just GM updated the naming convention. Now if someone tries to tell you a 4L60 and a 4L60E are the same, yeah, that's a dummy right there. They have a lot of similarities as they are born from the same basic design but they are very much not the same.

Richard
They made some internal changes throughout the entire history of the 700R4 to 4l60 so they are different enough that if the rebuilder doesnt even know what a 4l60 is hes probably gonna screw it up.
Just like early 700R4s are not the same as latter ones.
The differences dont really matter to an experianced rebuilder but are enough that a knucklehead wont get it right
Most production shops use a one size fits all 700r4/4L60 rebuild kit which has the parts to do either one but they dont both use all of those parts.
Its kinda like buying a carb kit or a TBI kit.
You will have leftover parts so the trick is knowing which parts you need to use.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
didn't they make a turbo 350 with a lock-up converter like a 350 c? i remember in the deep recess of my dusty mind hearing about it.
Yes there was a 350C. As far as the 700R4/4L60 thing, I think it's being conflated with the -87 and 87+ changes which are significant. The 4L60 was just a name change, just like the THM 440T4 became the 4T60, and the THM 125C became the 3T40. It was a way for GM to make some sense of their lineup as part of the great corporatization strategy of the 80s.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They made some internal changes throughout the entire history of the 700R4 to 4l60 so they are different enough that if the rebuilder doesnt even know what a 4l60 is hes probably gonna screw it up.
Just like early 700R4s are not the same as latter ones.
The differences dont really matter to an experianced rebuilder but are enough that a knucklehead wont get it right
Most production shops use a one size fits all 700r4/4L60 rebuild kit which has the parts to do either one but they dont both use all of those parts.
Its kinda like buying a carb kit or a TBI kit.
You will have leftover parts so the trick is knowing which parts you need to use.
Practically every modern automatic transmission has revisions from year to year - some minor, some major. That's a big walkback from claiming, "A lot of people have never even heard of a 4L60 much less rebuilt one" - but OK, we're on the same page now. ;)

Richard

Markmartin01

Reaction score
Time for a rebuild. Its not unusual at all for fresh fluid to wash what little debris is causing the clutches to work. The unhooked TV cable likely toasted the clutches in a couple hundred miles. ATF is very high detergent and will eliminate the tiny burned clutch pieces that are doing the work. That's why I would never change trans fluid on a known high mile trans bc its highly likely it will slip afterward .

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Practically every modern automatic transmission has revisions from year to year - some minor, some major. That's a big walkback from claiming, "A lot of people have never even heard of a 4L60 much less rebuilt one" - but OK, we're on the same page now. ;)

Richard
Not a walkback at all. I do beleve we have a difference of opinion and I do believe that further conversation on the subject would be helpfull.
I do have a rebuttal but that will have to wait.
I am neck deep in a Nissan VQ35DE and have, so far 68 ziplock bags of tagged parts.
Its like a crime scene
But, in one way we are certainly on the same page...
OP should not take his 4L60 down to Bubba's bait tackle and transmission shop.
Where all 4L60s are "E" and they always wanted to work on one.
Cheers pal! I will get back to you