Any?? SBC 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd go that far with the Siamese cylinders. On that note, don't you have to run steam ports on the 400?
From what I have heard, Yes.

When my '77 blazer rusted too bad I parted it out and gave the 400 to a friend who put it in his 88 pickup. He kept the factory TBI and ran without a chip and loved it. He ended up spinning a main bearing and was never happy with the 350 he put in it after.

eshaw

Reaction score
I've got a 418 (3.875 stroker bored .020) with 13.5:1 compression set up to run e85 that I have in the back of a Fiero. Once I finally get it running this year, I'll post a thread in the other vehicles section.
Where did you get your engine adapter? Archies used to make them.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 bolt 400 block. It is already .030 over but heard they can go .060 .
There's no telling how thin the cylinders will be unless you sonic-test them.

Even then, there are sometimes...surprises. But at least you have a fighting chance if the sonic test shows enough metal.

don't you have to run steam ports on the 400?
IF the engine is to be operated for any length of time below 3,000 rpm, you should have steam holes in the cylinder heads.

Racing engines that spend very little time below 3K are fine without.

Some cylinder heads have the holes already--all the OEM 400 heads, and some but not all aftermarket heads. Adding the holes is not hard, but can be tricky as they need to be drilled at an angle, not "straight down"; and of course as the internal structure of aftermarket heads may not be the same as the OEM heads, the angles and depths can be different.

Of course, the head gaskets need the holes as well.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My vortec headed 406 in my 66 Chevy II. Holley sniper throttle body.
9.5.1 compression with a lunati voodoo flat tappet 268 cam.
Damn things pulls hard.
Eventually I want some 200cc aluminum heads and to do a retro roller cam to get it over 500hp and torque.

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend boring one more than .030. The walls are thin as it is, and that much of an over bore makes it hard to keep cool. One 408 I had always ran warm around town or in low speed conditions. Had a new radiator, pulled plenty of air, circulated plenty of water. On the highway it never got over 180 or 190, been over 20 years so can't exactly remember. But I pulled that motor for a 454, and that never got hot with the same radiator. I wanted to get an aftermarket block, make a 454 small block. But, I work for the state now, and can't afford **** lol....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
With all of the known problems with the factory 400 block, the next one I do will be a dart block. By the time you pay for a factory block, clean it, bore it, surface it, magnuflux it, bore the cam journals, and bore the crank journals your at or above a brand new aftermarket block.