Any recommended "extra" work while the tranny is out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the first transmission fluid change per the owner's manual is like 100k IIRC? I think I changed mine at a bit over that, then every 25-30k miles. Last change was maybe 40k, but by then it had already started doing the P1870 code thing. Made it to 260 and I think I could have replaced the valve body, but I really didn't know anything about transmissions, and was frankly intimidated doing that job.

When I removed the transmission the hardest part was trying to remove the stripped out drain plug. Between the various shops, dealers and my mechanic someone had stripped it. I tried everything, including the extractors. Nothing worked!

Finally had to get the stick welder out. Welded a big 'ol 3/4" nut...overhead welding under the truck while trying not catch the grass or the damn truck on fire or myself....that was probably the hardest part for me! LOL. Was still pissed off, but no one to blame.

I think I can now do a transmission fluid change. Out of necessity.

Last edited: