Any preferances on brand of wheel cylinders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I need to rebuild my rear brakes at some point. I have most of the parts, but since I've upgraded my front SRW brakes to DRW, I'd like to upgrade the rears to DRW brakes as well.... basically it's just the cylinders, as the drums are really only to accommodate the wheels, which I'm not running.... it's still a SRW truck. All the other parts are the same.

I've only ever replaced one wheel cylinder.... on any vehicle. Anyone have a preference in brand/line for wheel cylinders?

The rain is freezing outside.... what better thing to do than look at parts online?

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I used ACdelco professional to replace the leaking one. But it's a 30 min job on a C1500 and they wheel cylinders were only $8-9.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go OEM or the most premium option that Napa offers. Either way it's probably going to have to be ordered and waited on to arrive.

(AC Delco Professional is not same quality tier as AC Delco OEM)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Go OEM or the most premium option that Napa offers. Either way it's probably going to have to be ordered and waited on to arrive.

(AC Delco Professional is not same quality tier as AC Delco OEM)

The OEM are $50 through Rockauto.... way more than the other options. Technically, I can afford it.... but I'm not sure I'm getting anything better for my money, which bothers me.

I don't like NAPA... I bought there top line front end parts several years ago, and they turned out to be garbage, and then they gave me a hard time about the warranty. Their tie-rods wouldn't hold grease and would literally fall apart. Once in my driveway, and one at the gas station... I drove home (very carefully) with one wheel not connected to the steering wheel..... caster kept it straight (most of the time). I don't go there unless I have to.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I used ACdelco professional to replace the leaking one. But it's a 30 min job on a C1500 and they wheel cylinders were only $8-9.

They sure are a lot cheaper than calipers. I'm sure it will take me longer than a 1/2 hour..... I have a 1-ton with a 14bff that will get new seals in the hubs, and possibly bearings. I may try to clean up and paint the backing plates too.

delta_p

Reaction score
I had to decide too on oem or not. But in the end it's just a wheel cylinder. Not much to them to fail but leak. It comes out and goes in quick on c1500. I could do 6 or oem. If I had the sealed hub ect. I might do a higher quality one.

4L80

Reaction score
Not sure how much longer the OEM will last over the lower priced ones, but when my wheel cylinder went on my K2500 8600gvw, I needed one fast and got an aftermarket. When I went to change it, I noticed the leaking OEM wheel cylinder had a wider metal housing with very little boot sticking out of each end, and the aftermarket that I was installing had the shorter housing with more rubber exposed. When I installed it, I left myself a note that when I do the other side, I should order the wheel cylinder with longer housing and less rubber sticking out of the end. If I remember right, it was something about where it is mounted there is potential for the axle casting to rub the boot. Anyway, even on Rockauto, you will notice that some have more boot showing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a wheel cylinder that ISN'T made-in-China junk for so long it's a crying shame.

If the rebuild kit were Made-In-USA, I'd run a hone through the thing and use USA-made parts. But even the rebuild kits have cheap Chinese rubber now.

MAYBE that's the difference for the Delco OEM parts--they're not made from shiitty rubber.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
Listen if your going to do wheel cylinders,do both,get new shoes,new parts for the whole thing,they come as a set,am stickler for perfection when comes to brakes,if going to do it,do it right first time,personally you can go anywhere to buy brakes,unfortunately OEM,is made in china,canada,maybe lucky in USA,more likely Malaysia,go with who you like the best,asking someone who they like,is like asking for a opinion,we all have them,and if you dont know how to do it,can get a manual or have them at a trusted repair shop,please dont forget to make sure no air in the brakes,When I do it,I research it,and make sure have everything I need before doing,and being cheap is a bad idea.

delta_p

Reaction score
MAYBE that's the difference for the Delco OEM parts--they're not made from shiitty rubber.

I always thought it was in the amount of quality control a company pays for and transfers to consumer. Like OEM line in China gets rubber from a specific plant in China who they audited to specific quality standards in production, where lower tier is like, if this generic rubber plant can't supply the boots, get them from another one.