any nv4500 experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TICK

Reaction score
rebuilding my nv4500 tranny, replaced counter shaft, input shaft, front bearing retainer cover, 3rd gear, syncros, all bearings. setting end play on countershaft went perfect, used the thinest shim, gave me 2/12 to 3 thousants. the main shaft, no shim at all and no endplay. in fact bearing cup is raised up above case slightly, when i torque bolts, tight, but shaft turns freely, i put top cover on, and stick shift, it shifts smooth in all gears, shaft turns ok in all gears. anybody have any ideas. cause theres no way im moving forward untill i know it will be alright. TIC.

TICK

Reaction score
rebuilding my nv4500 tranny, replaced counter shaft, input shaft, front bearing retainer cover, 3rd gear, syncros, all bearings. setting end play on countershaft went perfect, used the thinest shim, gave me 2/12 to 3 thousants. the main shaft, no shim at all and no endplay. in fact bearing cup is raised up above case slightly, when i torque bolts, tight, but shaft turns freely, i put top cover on, and stick shift, it shifts smooth in all gears, shaft turns ok in all gears. anybody have any ideas. cause theres no way im moving forward untill i know it will be alright. TIC.
never mind, i found the problem. i got a new front bearingcover, cause i could not figure how to get old race out to install newone. well no matter how much force i use, the race wont seat that last little bit, there must be somthing lodged in there, so now i got two bearing covers i can't get the races out, i put the old one back in and i have lots of end play. theres no way to nock the races out from back, but i think i can make somthing to get at it.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good work.. probably a burr in the casting? I've never built an nv4500, is there a tech guide, freeze the race before installation, lube the casting, ???

Richard

TICK

Reaction score
never mind, i found the problem. i got a new front bearingcover, cause i could not figure how to get old race out to install newone. well no matter how much force i use, the race wont seat that last little bit, there must be somthing lodged in there, so now i got two bearing covers i can't get the races out, i put the old one back in and i have lots of end play. theres no way to nock the races out from back, but i think i can make somthing to get at it.
update again. the broblem was, is, the koyo race, is thicker than the timken race it came with, i ended up drilling two 1/4 in. hole through the face of the aluminum cover, and used a punch , and drove out the race on both covers and compared them side by side. then i drove the lod race in new cover and bolted on. my clearances were back. so i went to site were i got cover, and the just happen to have, just the timken race exactly like my old one for sale. so i ordered it and another cover, i could tap the holes i drilled and put some screws in and cut off flush. but the cover is only 24 bucks with the seal, free shipping and no tax. TIC.