Any idea what this is clamped to my rear axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those are axle plates. Maybe someone tried a homemade anti-wrap bar, but factory pieces not in factory location. Burb's n Tahoes, and the occasional CnC, along with 3500HDs, got a rear sway bar. But those are NOT sway bar mounts.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somebody added them for some reason. All suburbans and Tahoes get rear sway bars mounts like a bump stop. Trucks with sport or police package get rear sway bars. Mounts on top of axle or below. 3500's that have bars are mounted forward center like 3 or 9 oclock looking from tire inboard. Original equipt' mounts are welded pads on axle tubes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Guess: Some Treasure Yard pulled an axle from a scrapped truck, the guy pulling parts put the U-bolt brackets on the axle tube as a favor to whoever buys the thing.

The guy buying the axle didn't understand that concept.

The only surprise is that they didn't secure the U-bolt brackets with duct tape instead of steel hardware.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wild Guess: Some Treasure Yard pulled an axle from a scrapped truck, the guy pulling parts put the U-bolt brackets on the axle tube as a favor to whoever buys the thing.

The guy buying the axle didn't understand that concept.

The only surprise is that they didn't secure the U-bolt brackets with duct tape instead of steel hardware.

I think this is the most reasonable explanation, presented.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. My truck was originally a cab and chassis so maybe there was some sort of sway bar. Would love to see a photo of the setup.
Can you post a photo of your frame rails where they exit the cab? The pickups have a curvature to raise the rails to where the bed bolts up. I'm pretty sure the C&C trucks have frame rails that exit the cab and got back straight (no curvature.) C&C frame rail are like that because it makes it easier to install a flatbed, etc.

As far as I knew, it was not easy to install a regular bed on a C&C, but I may be wrong.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of your frame rails where they exit the cab? The pickups have a curvature to raise the rails to where the bed bolts up. I'm pretty sure the C&C trucks have frame rails that exit the cab and got back straight (no curvature.) C&C frame rail are like that because it makes it easier to install a flatbed, etc.

As far as I knew, it was not easy to install a regular bed on a C&C, but I may be wrong.
On the 3500 duallies, absolutely, C&C's have the straight frame rails after the kickup behind the cab. I'd have to revisit the sales literature but I believe the 2500's and possibly 3500 SRW were offered as C&C with regular frame rails and wheelbase. They weren't really common but they're out there. The narrow flatbeds, utility beds, stuff like that. Had an '88 or '89 2500 flatbed parts truck like that and also a customer with a 2500 that came flatbed, allegedly. I say allegedly because when we met he already had installed a regular bed.

Richard