Any guys towing with a 1500 5 speed anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lol. Found the guy who's never been to Texas.

Come on up to CO and we'll talk hills. But no, the only TX driving I've done was from Wichita Falls to Dallas, then Wichita Falls back to MI and that was forever ago.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer towing with a manual. Never had any issues with my NV3500 either. I’ve towed my car from TX to FL and back. I’d guess between 5500-6000lbs. Truck is a 350 5spd, 35” tires and 4.56 gears. Getting up to speed, you’re not gonna win any races, but once it gets up to speed, it’ll hold speed just fine.

Chuckersw

Reaction score
Well I picked up the travel trailer yesterday. Ran the truck across the scales a few times both with and without the trailer. Truck was 4580, trailer was about 5900. With the WD hitch, I lost 100 pounds off the front axle and gained about 680 on the rear axle. Truck handled the trailer fine as far and handling and braking however the 3.08 gears just are not going to cut it on any highways that are not flat, which is pretty uncommon in central Texas. I got to make this work for about a year so I think Ill be headed to the salvage yards to find a 3.42 or 3.73 rear end. My question, is if I am unable to find the desirable 14 bolt, are the 10 bolt 2WD and 4WD completely interchangeable aside from the bolt patterns on the axles? IE could I swap drums, backing plates and 5 lug axles from the 2WD 10 bolt to a 4WD 10 bolt? I feel like 3.73 is pretty rare in a 5 lug 10 bolt but probably pretty common on a lot of GMT 400 1500 4WDs.
You must be registered for see images attach
I found a 10 bolt 3.73 with the 5 lug axles and the larger drum brakes under a donor suburban to replace my 3.08. Best thing I ever did. Also gave me the locking diff. It did take me a bit to find one but they aren't that uncommon either. Good luck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Come on up to CO and we'll talk hills. But no, the only TX driving I've done was from Wichita Falls to Dallas, then Wichita Falls back to MI and that was forever ago.

I was just reading this post and had to LOL. I have gone from Texas to Colorado pulling the travel trailer a few years ago with the Express van. Leaving Texas going into New Mexico has a few good climbs and it was about 105°F outside. My worst climb was actually Raton pass. Its about 7,000 ft elevation but it was still about 100°F that day. My foot was to the firewall in 2nd gear at 4,000 rpm running about 62-65 mph. Clutch fan was roaring trying to keep the engine and trans cool (Both stayed under 200°F) Back when I had the GM marine cam and 3.73 9.5" SF with the P305/50R20s under it. When I managed to get into the high mountains in Colorado and it was 68-72°F even though the elevation had increased I actually had ALOT more power than it did heat soaked trying to climb Raton. Density Altitude climbing Raton had to have been in the 11,000+ foot range with high IATs and coolant temp both pulling timing. I have seen it get to nearly 4,000 ft DA at my local track that is at 660 ft elevation.

Last edited: