Any guys towing with a 1500 5 speed anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as the trans longevity of my NV3500 goes, i dont beat on it. Even my clutch is still original equipment at 155K. Pulled trans out at about 120K for a stuck pilot bearing in the crank. Replaced that. While in there i did some PM (preventative maintenance) i changed the rear main seal, input shaft seal, output shaft seal, throw out bearing, and inspected the clutch. Flywheel and pressure plate still had nice factory swirl marks on them, and were flat on a straightedge. No heat checking at all either. Clutch disc measured only .001" thinner on my micrometer than a new GM dealer replacement i bought to replace while trans was out. I stuck the original back in. I also replaced U joints at that time, and refilled gearcase with Amsoil synthetic. Not sure if that made a difference or not.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One problem with the reputation is there were many different versions that look the same but have radical internal differences. The 88-90 ones have the worst lubrication problems that commonly failed even while under warranty. The 1991 multi-shift rail was supposed to be a huge improvement but I have seen 1991 trucks that actually had the original 5LM60 88-90 transmission so who knows when the actual brake in production was. The NV3500 supposedly came out in 1993 and was another improvement over the 1991 upgrade. That being said, my trans had 250K (behind a 305 however) when I decided to pull it, have it refreshed since I was changing/upgrading to the vortec 5.7 and having to change to the larger clutch anyway. Now at 270,000 and still working fine besides the inconsistent pedal effort I am encountering. My uncle also had a 1991 5.7L truck that made it to 350,000 miles before being wrecked and that trans was only rebuilt once during that time.

I was only aware of one ratio set being available in the C/K. I have heard there is a short and long output shaft version with one having the 4.05 first gear (GMT 400s) and the other having a 3.5 first gear (S-10). Even though it is not a true "granny" low, it is significantly steeper than you would find in an automatic of those years and really makes it easy to get heavy loads (relative to what can be safely towed with a GMT 400 1500) moving even with 3.08 gears.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I picked up the travel trailer yesterday. Ran the truck across the scales a few times both with and without the trailer. Truck was 4580, trailer was about 5900. With the WD hitch, I lost 100 pounds off the front axle and gained about 680 on the rear axle. Truck handled the trailer fine as far and handling and braking however the 3.08 gears just are not going to cut it on any highways that are not flat, which is pretty uncommon in central Texas. I got to make this work for about a year so I think Ill be headed to the salvage yards to find a 3.42 or 3.73 rear end. My question, is if I am unable to find the desirable 14 bolt, are the 10 bolt 2WD and 4WD completely interchangeable aside from the bolt patterns on the axles? IE could I swap drums, backing plates and 5 lug axles from the 2WD 10 bolt to a 4WD 10 bolt? I feel like 3.73 is pretty rare in a 5 lug 10 bolt but probably pretty common on a lot of GMT 400 1500 4WDs.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll have to measure the spring mounts. The 4X4 is wider. The carriers should be the same size.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want any measurements to compare, let me know and I can grab some off of the K1500. I have read they are different, but have never measured myself.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. I think I will play it safe and get one from a 2WD truck or suburban. I'll look for a 3.73 but if I cant reasonably find one, Ill just get a 3.42 which will still be a good improvement over my 3.08 and 31 inch tires.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chris from core asked me to retract my statements about the lighter springs. Rhey worked for me is all i can say. He asked ne to let him and his customers determine whats right for them. I just know what worked for me.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I just towed out a 24' travel trailer from Longview to Kermit, TX about two weeks ago with my 97 K1500 350/NV3500 3.73 G80 10BSF, all original equipment (save for headers, efans, and a 0411 swap) at 213k miles with the usual regular maintenance, however mine also has the air-ride helper suspension kit installed which is definitely helpful in getting your ride to smooth and level out. And I did run in 5th quite a bit......going downhill :D it would pull okay in 5th on flat and level ground, but the slightest uphill would drag it down so yeah, I spent a lot of time in 4th.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just towed out a 24' travel trailer from Longview to Kermit, TX about two weeks ago with my 97 K1500 350/NV3500 3.73 G80 10BSF, all original equipment (save for headers, efans, and a 0411 swap) at 213k miles with the usual regular maintenance, however mine also has the air-ride helper suspension kit installed which is definitely helpful in getting your ride to smooth and level out. And I did run in 5th quite a bit......going downhill :D it would pull okay in 5th on flat and level ground, but the slightest uphill would drag it down so yeah, I spent a lot of time in 4th.

Who are you kidding? TX doesn't have hills.