Any Advantage to a Suburban over a Tahoe/Yukon???...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Spacious things Suburbans. Space for everything...
Only bad thing about all that space... it's VERY EASY to find things you "have" to put in that space. Changing over from the Burb to CCLB, meant deciding "do we need this/can it stay in the shop?" A lot....I had a couple of plastic totes up against the front wall of the bed, with clothes in them, for our trip last week.

silversport

Reaction score
And it sold to someone else…low miles 42000 but the driver side doors had been painted, the front air,conditioner didn’t work, the brakes were mushier than usual with no change in price…

hope the new buyer did better than me with that dealership

Bill

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a little biased towards the burb. I think the advantages of fuel capacity, seating capacity, and cargo capacity outweigh the cons of an overall larger vehicle. It's what fits my use the best. I do think the ability to get it in a 3/4 ton chassis is also beneficial. I could easily have done with a 1/2 ton but love having the 3/4 ton for my use.

With that said I believe I'm getting about 9 mpg's on a good day with the 454.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes he did then...that was the one...
I'd love to read the story...did he get it off of eBay or from visiting the dealership?

Bill
WOW!! He's going to be PISSED when he finds out the front AC doesn't work!!
Here's the listing on Bring'a'Trailer

I was home (Glenview, IL) visiting and my brother asked me to go have a look at this truck on a Thursday 12/8. My bro lives about 2 hours away in Michigan. So, I got an uber to the dealership, fully intending to bring it home. The suburban had been owned by the dealership from something like 8 months. The salesman said that it had basically been in the dealership owner's private collection but that guy ran out of storage space and needed to actually move a couple of cars.

After a test drive, I pulled it into their service bay for a look around under the lights. I thought it looked immaculately clean (brand new tires even) - but didn't notice that the doors had been painted. My brother and Dad have a really well-tuned critical eye and I dont think they've noticed either. What tipped you off to that?
(As an aside -- in high school, a friend doored my car in the parking lot. When I got home, Dad was looking at the car in the driveway from inside the house and asked me WTF happened. I was equal parts impressed and terrified).

So anyways, I looked over everything and it seems to be exactly what he's been looking for for the last 6 months - a one-owner, rust free, low miles, okay priced GMT400. Salesman and I go sit down. My brother gave me permission to pay the listed price. But the dealership has had it for months and the market has softened so they're upsidedown. "Not my problem" I tell the guy, but they're unwilling to budge. One of the listings (ebay or the dealer's, IDK) said the truck included a second set of rims and tires. The salesman and manager dont know anything about the tires and refuse to call the owner. We were like $300 apart but now my brother and I are pissed off, feeling like they're jerking us around so we walk away.

Surprise surprise the next morning he gets a call from the owner of the dealership (the guy who had been driving the truck for the last 8 months). He apologizes for the confusion and asks him to come back in. They re-negotiate and home comes the truck. You're definitely right to be unimpressed with that dealership!

Regarding the AC - it was a cold night and I didnt know how to test that besides turning on the defroster and seeing that the compressor engaged. How did you determine that it doesn't work up front?

This makes 3 suburbans in the family!
1) In 1997, Dad bought a black 1995 GMC. It now has 170k mi and does easy duty driving 1,000 miles/year to Menards & Costco.
2) In Nov. 2020, I flew to Phoenix for a one-owner, salt-free, 1997 Chevy with 197k. It's been my daily for the past year. She likes to run too fast on washboard and crawl over narrow mountain passes in 4low. 214k on the clock now.
3) Then 3 weeks ago, bro bought this "perfect" 1999 pewter GMC with 42k and every single add-on and option that was offered.