Anti-Seize or Nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deal with it everyday, been doing this professionally for last 15 years. Wash that garbage off and use a thick grease instead, less mess and actually comes apart when u need it too. Everyone uses that aluminum anti size and when it dries it's worse than a weld. Pull a hub bearing out once that was greased vs antiseize and you will know the difference lol. Warrantied a hub bearing 8 months after I installed it and loosened bolts and pulled hub out with my hands, antiseize and I'll spend 25 minutes beating the fudge outta the bearing getting it out.

I've also seen oil used. What grease would you recommend then? I'm up here in the north and anti-seize everything i take apart but, have noticed the dry out. Not that anti-seize doesn't work for me but, I do like other options. Would a tub of bearing grease be good enough?

NEVERMIND, I scrolled back some and saw your post about chassis grease.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've also seen oil used. What grease would you recommend then? I'm up here in the north and anti-seize everything i take apart but, have noticed the dry out. Not that anti-seize doesn't work for me but, I do like other options. Would a tub of bearing grease be good enough?

NEVERMIND, I scrolled back some and saw your post about chassis grease.
We have had a 5 gallon of grease that was for the hitch plate on a semi , that stuff works awesome too

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Was replacing knuckles today and thought about this thread. Didn't video first side bearing in there 18months or so , single light tap and it fell out , fat fingered the camera and stopped video after I pulled the knuckle bolts , but no editing to make it look easy, it just fell out. Hope this saves someone a sore arm, dented up knuckle and ALOT of cuss words tho lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hubs on my '97 have been in there for 25 years instead of a few months. I pulled the left side last year. Still need to do the right side this summer. Wanna come "tap them out" for me?

What kind of test is "a few months"?

God bless anti-seize.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hubs on my '97 have been in there for 25 years instead of a few months. I pulled the left side last year. Still need to do the right side this summer. Wanna come "tap them out" for me?

What kind of test is "a few months"?

God bless anti-seize.
It wasn't a test , just didn't think to video the first side that had been in there for year and a half. Nd just about every bearing in a gmt 400 is original till like 250k miles lol and u get to beat em out , I'm too good at it, usually 6-8 blows with my 32oz snap on dead blow. Sometimes it gets the 5lb sledge, then a few get the oxy actelyn torch nd hr + removing them. I just can't understand why a factory bearing lasts that long but an ac Delco replacement lasts 1/10 of the time. Ac Delco has started lifetime warranty on Thier bearings ( the cars with the glue on magnet for tone ring style started it) but I've actually had to warranty a LF from a hhr 6 times in the last year, bearing not bad but the tone ring issues .

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
There ya go one handed with camera in other on corroded in 2012 OG bearing in cobalt . If antisneeze works for u, that's awesome, everytime I get something in the shop with it, 4 out 5 times it hinders not helps tho. Just was trying to help others with my personal experiences . We have one of the harshest winters on vehicles here in the UP, new vehicles don't make it to Thier 2nd winter without rust starting! The salt and sand must just dry the antisneeze rite out and disimialar metals don't age well together.