Antenna thread size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've tried using the search function to no avail, but would anyone happen to know what the thread size is on the antenna that sticks up though the fender on a 1998 k1500?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A fender mounted antenna is fed by a piece of shielded cable that plugs into the radio and runs directly to the antenna. Not sure what you mean by "thread size" . If you are referring to a power antenna that moves when the radio is turned on, then most any medium sized power lead style wire would work and the size would not be terribly important. Beyond that I cannot understand your request. Welcome to the forum and please explain more of what you are looking to find out.

Edit: Are you maybe asking for the size of the mounting nut that holds the antenna to the fender? Those are usually included with a new antenna and if yours does not have one you may need to buy a replacement. The antenna will also come with a template that gives the hole size if you are planning on mounting one for the first time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, on the long peice that routes through the dash, the end that is opposite of the radio has a threaded piece which sticks up through the fender and thats where the exterior part of the antenna threads on to. I was looking for that thread size. Although I found 1 site that references the oem part having a M6X1.0 thread. So I think I have the answer. I'm looking at replacing the long "whip" style oem antenna with a shorter bullet style and needed to make sure it would fit.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It likely would be easier to just buy the antenna you want with a suitably long wire on it (or an extender) and mount it and run the wire to the radio. You might get lucky and find a short antenna that would fit that base but it would be a matter of luck. Good luck and come back to the thread and let us know how it comes out. There are a lot of radio issues and one solved would be good news.

Reaction score
I can't seem to upload the pictures of what I'm looking to do, but this is the antenna I am planning to buy, along with their extension which just raises it up a little more. It's more for looks but has good reviews from all the newer vehicles It's on. I'll keep this updated and include a link to the VMS Racing antenna I want. Should simply unscrew the old one and screw this on and done.

https://www.vmsracing.com/products/...luminum-short-antenna-kit?variant=26579449601