another shock question- yes I searched 1st

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1988 c1500 reg cab, short bed, 5.7, 5-speed.

I c-nothed the fram, flipped the axle to the top of the leaves, and started looking at shocks. Ive done a bunch of reading, and a bunch of searching and what I have found are mostly opinions.

I clearly see how at a ~6" lowered stance the factory shock mounting points become ineffective. I did not want to relocate the lower mount even lower, although further from the axle centerline would help a lot.

I started looking at different shock brands, lowered shocks, Bilsteins, Konis, etc, and I found the Ranch RS9000's that are adjustable for rebound and compression. I found a shorter version with similar ends that is spec'd for a Jeep Cherokee, and I bought them. I plan to move the upper mounts. Hopefully they'll work out.

My big question is what do people normally do- just buy the lower relocation kit? Does anyone move the upper mount? There seems to be plenty of room to move the upper mount just about anywhere I want to.

When I search, I find bolt on relocated lower mounts, and full on air ride systems, but nothing really in between. Surely someone has relocated their uppers....

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 1988 c1500 reg cab, short bed, 5.7, 5-speed.

I c-nothed the fram, flipped the axle to the top of the leaves, and started looking at shocks. Ive done a bunch of reading, and a bunch of searching and what I have found are mostly opinions.

I clearly see how at a ~6" lowered stance the factory shock mounting points become ineffective. I did not want to relocate the lower mount even lower, although further from the axle centerline would help a lot.

I started looking at different shock brands, lowered shocks, Bilsteins, Konis, etc, and I found the Ranch RS9000's that are adjustable for rebound and compression. I found a shorter version with similar ends that is spec'd for a Jeep Cherokee, and I bought them. I plan to move the upper mounts. Hopefully they'll work out.

My big question is what do people normally do- just buy the lower relocation kit? Does anyone move the upper mount? There seems to be plenty of room to move the upper mount just about anywhere I want to.

When I search, I find bolt on relocated lower mounts, and full on air ride systems, but nothing really in between. Surely someone has relocated their uppers....
Belltech makes an upper shock mount for the relocation of the shock. You can get them on Amazon. Should take care of your problem.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The description says this is a lower shock relocation kit. Whomever wrote the ad got it wrong. It is for the upper mounts. The installation PDF gets it right.
I'd still use the lower extensions. They'll not affect the ground clearance by very much. There's other things under there that will hit the ground first.
..and they're above the lowest point of the rim, so there's no worries about those catching the road in the event of a flat.
I'd use both the extensions & the upper relocation kit.

https://www.belltech.com/products/b...-88-98-gm-1-2-ton-upper-shock-mount-6658.html

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting how they relocated the shocks. I'm just going to fabricate my own, but thought surely Im not the only person to do this, and no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'll post some pics of my setup once complete with shocks.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used ZR2 front shocks (Rancho 9000xl) on the rear of my 91. The 9000xl have a set rebound but adjustable compression.

Just made a simple crossmember that bolts to the frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I used the 9000 Ranchos as stated above. I relocated the stock upper mounts up 1.5" and closer to the axle centerline by 1.5", and I started to make lower shock extensions, but ultimately decided to just buy new lower mounts. I bought 3/16 steel mounts from Ebay that are 6.5" long from the edge of the housing to the center of the shock hole
KIMG1305 by sbnova, on Flickr

KIMG1307 by sbnova, on Flickr

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a shot of my truck so far. I just put the bed back on, and this pic is test fitting the wheels at ride height. I ordered new tires, and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow- 11/8/18. I was really apprehensive picking tire sizes but settled on 245/35-20's front (20x8.5) and 275/30-20 rears (20x10). I was really nervous about them being too tall or too short. I hope I chose right....