Another K2500 Suburban...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I've been lurking for quite a while. I've owned the Suburban since 2013. It started as a daily driver when I found it on a used car lot for cheap. Originally a California truck, it was super-clean when I bought it. I drove it daily for a few years, and when the trans blew, I replaced it with a quality rebuild and decided to retire it from daily-driver duty. This was perfect timing, it probably would have gone downhill with much more winter exposure. Now, it's a three-season truck that's still in pretty good shape.

A couple years passed where I didn't drive it at all. Took it out in September for the first time, and that's when the front-to-rear brake line blew lol. Figured that would be a week-long project. Then one of the rear bleeders broke off. Then I discovered diff fluid in the drums. Then one of the front bleeders broke off. Five weeks later, it's got full stainless lines, new cylinders and calipers, new drums, new rear bearings and seals, a flushed differential, and a new master cylinder. Throughout the process, every question or reference I needed to perform seemed to point right back here to GMT400, so I figured it was a sign.

Other things it's had in addition to the brakes and trans are, new front steering components, new axle shafts, and just a ton of minor repairs and improvements. I've done most of this myself, it's cheaper, it's good exercise ha ha, and you know it's done right that way.

More generally, I'm a classic car guy with a soft spot for big blocks. This dates back to reading old Popular Mechanics reviews as a kid. If it wasn't a big block, I didn't even bother reading it ha ha. I've grown up, and recognize that there are good engines in all forms and displacements...but for me, it's still gotta be a big block. :) Anyway, I've got more stories to tell and experience to share, and I look forward to participating here going forward. Thanks for reading!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Houston, Texas. I have a 99 C1500 Suburban and a 97 C3500 crew cab long bed. They do say everything is bigger in Texas.....

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, yes it's all stock mechanically. I put the tires and bumper on, along with a single Flowmaster 70. Been thinking I'd like to do tasteful, factory-style true-duals, but this 70 sounds SO good that I hate to change it.

It's got 240k miles now, and I've thought about what I might do in the future. I'd LIKE more power, who wouldn't? But the TBI runs SO good, and is seemingly so difficult to wring anything out of, that I'll probably leave it alone. If anything ever happens to the engine, all bets are off.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I've been lurking for quite a while. I've owned the Suburban since 2013. It started as a daily driver when I found it on a used car lot for cheap. Originally a California truck, it was super-clean when I bought it. I drove it daily for a few years, and when the trans blew, I replaced it with a quality rebuild and decided to retire it from daily-driver duty. This was perfect timing, it probably would have gone downhill with much more winter exposure. Now, it's a three-season truck that's still in pretty good shape.

A couple years passed where I didn't drive it at all. Took it out in September for the first time, and that's when the front-to-rear brake line blew lol. Figured that would be a week-long project. Then one of the rear bleeders broke off. Then I discovered diff fluid in the drums. Then one of the front bleeders broke off. Five weeks later, it's got full stainless lines, new cylinders and calipers, new drums, new rear bearings and seals, a flushed differential, and a new master cylinder. Throughout the process, every question or reference I needed to perform seemed to point right back here to GMT400, so I figured it was a sign.

Other things it's had in addition to the brakes and trans are, new front steering components, new axle shafts, and just a ton of minor repairs and improvements. I've done most of this myself, it's cheaper, it's good exercise ha ha, and you know it's done right that way.

More generally, I'm a classic car guy with a soft spot for big blocks. This dates back to reading old Popular Mechanics reviews as a kid. If it wasn't a big block, I didn't even bother reading it ha ha. I've grown up, and recognize that there are good engines in all forms and displacements...but for me, it's still gotta be a big block. :) Anyway, I've got more stories to tell and experience to share, and I look forward to participating here going forward. Thanks for reading!

You must be registered for see images attach
Niiice Truck ! Mahe sure to change the intermediate steering shaft with rag joint. There's the slop. My writeup is on Amazon for the Dorman product.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Niiice Truck ! Mahe sure to change the intermediate steering shaft with rag joint. There's the slop. My writeup is on Amazon for the Dorman product.
You know, I've been driving it a lot over the last few days and noticing the slop. Do you have a part number on that? It needs something, and it's not the front end components, they're all basically new. And thank you!