Another aluminum head question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, a quick update to this, as holy crap that's a ton of $ to be gambling with.

I'm pulling the trigger on the Trick Flow heads. Thanks for that, @Schurkey

Next, since I don't want to wait nearly 3 months for heads that "might" come in, I'm putting my stock heads on in the meantime. Then, I'll at least have a running vehicle while waiting on the other heads.

Finally, I'm also waiting on a ridiculously large order from Rock Auto to arrive, i.e., main, rod, and cam bearings, oil galley plugs, all freeze plugs, piston rings, a plethora of gaskets, and of course, the new cam (with lifters).

The last thing I should have to decide on is what exhaust to run. My Trans Am has H00ker headers and I Effing love 'em! Not sure I can afford another set at this point in time.

That is all for now. I'll update my engine swap thread as parts arrive and time allows.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock heads? I'd put the iron manifolds back on, IF (big IF) the gasket surface is flat and smooth, and they're not cracked or otherwise damaged. Anti-seize the bolts so they come back out easily. As always, reduce the torque on the bolts by 10%--20% due to thread lubrication inherent in the anti-seize. I'd use brass nuts on the studs, again so they're easily removed.

Put the headers on with the aluminum heads.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock heads? I'd put the iron manifolds back on, IF (big IF) the gasket surface is flat and smooth, and they're not cracked or otherwise damaged. Anti-seize the bolts so they come back out easily. As always, reduce the torque on the bolts by 10%--20% due to thread lubrication inherent in the anti-seize. I'd use brass nuts on the studs, again so they're easily removed.

I had them cleaned and checked. Machinist says they are in "fair" shape. They are useable, and for the time being, better than nothing.

EDIT: Stock manifolds.... what!

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If those trick flows were available sooner I'd be all over them too tbh. I'm hoping to start my rebuild next week though so I reckon it's just gonna be ported stock heads.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I just wanted to post an update on this. My aluminum heads keep getting pushed back by the manufacture. First it was August, now September. Next thing I know, it'll be next year.

Surely there's another option? Something that's already in stock?

I see these, but comparing the specs with the Trick Flow heads, they are inferior. They are also roller cam heads. I'm NOT tearing that new cam out.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are a good American made option, although not without their own issues. Intake and valve cover bolt patterns and no provision for egr. But they are a good head, and there doesn’t seem to be a good, affordable replacement for tbi’s.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I question why you would use stock manifolds. Even shortys offer signifigant torque gains and better mpg. I put Holley performance manifolds on the L31 I put in the 87 van but they were dirt cheap when I bought them. There is no way I would use stock manifolds though, they are crack prone and highly restrictive. Headers are probably the best power per $ gain on a SBC.