Another 3.08 to 3.42 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmage

Reaction score
Apologies if it's been posted, saw threads that came close but none addressed my exactly question so here goes:

Got a 1996 GMC c1500 4.3L 5 speed with maybe a billion miles on it. Noticing a lot of play when I turn the drive shaft before the rear gives resistance (e-break on, trans in neutral) - about 1/6th, 1/5th turn.

Thinking my rear is completely shot although there's no noise, clunking etc, but there was tons of noise when I bought the truck because the diff was basically dry. I don't have the tools/skills/time to do my own rebuild kit, I bet i'd screw up the lash too, etc. I can however do a swap, only issue is all the junkyards only have the 3.42. I don't really mind the 3.08, I know it's a slug but I'd swap that in to limit headaches. Here's the big question, if I do swap the 3.42, do I have to do a tune? If so (ugh), any advice there? Find a shop, find a program, etc - seems to be the only real gotcha with this job though if there are more please don't keep it to yourself :D

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edit: well actually I took a vid (took a gif?) of the play - would this cause any alarm to you good folks? No clunking, no noise since I filled the thing with gear oil https://media.giphy.com/media/a3hqIboWAZRvmXtfbk/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

dmage

Reaction score
Thank you folks! Can you flash yourself or its only dealership.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In my '88 C1500, the slop ended up being entirely from the spider gears and cross shaft being worn into each other.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you folks! Can you flash yourself or its only dealership.
I use one of these. It works grate, but once you use it, it's locked to that vehicle. Summit racing has them. They are a little under $350
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thank you!!

Moses, it's $450
What I like about the Jet, is that it is also a live data code reader. You can reset your CEL. Look at live data, on things like your 02 sensors, ECT. Just go to Summit's site and put in your info. I think it's $337, if I remember rite. I have been having mine for maybe 8 years. I have adjusted tire size, rear end gear ratio, set the tune to premium gas, set the top speed to 225 MPH, and in the passed, I have used it to trace down issues with the CEL more than once. Sure, an in person tune is more effective, but I like the fact that I can reset things any time I want to. When I rebuilt my rear end, I put an Eaton truetrac in, and I went from 342s to 373s. All new bearings, and seals, ECT. I just broke out my Jet programmer, and reset things. There are some videos on the jet programmer, on YouTube.

Last edited:

dmage

Reaction score
What I like about the Jet, is that it is also a live data code reader. You can reset your CEL. Look at live data, on things like your 02 sensors, ECT. Just go to Summit's site and put in your info. I think it's $337, if I remember write. I have been having mine for maybe 8 years. I have adjusted tire size, rear end gear ratio, set the tune to premium gas, set the top speed to 225 MPH, and in the passed, I have used it to trace down issues with the CEL more than once. Sure, an in person tune is more effective, but I like the fact that I can reset things any time I want to. When I rebuilt my rear end, I put an Eaton truetrac in, and I went from 342s to 373s. All new bearings, and seals, ECT. I just broke out my Jet programmer, and reset things. There are some videos on the jet programmer, on YouTube.
Thanks again sir, really appreciate these details. found it way cheaper on amazon and summit like you said.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I use one of these. It works grate, but once you use it, it's locked to that vehicle. Summit racing has them. They are a little under $350
You must be registered for see images attach

Actually, there is a way to use that on multiple vehicles which are within the years of the tuner's parameters.
Plug it into a laptop or desktop.
There should be a port on it somewhere. Mine came with a USB cable but it's...where? (Doh!)
The cable for my camera happened to be the same! Once the 'puter recognizes, go to the manufacturer's website & hit 'update'.
Not only will you get the latest software updates, but it will also zero-out the programmed vin.
Now you can use it on another vehicle to set whatever. Tire size, fuel grade, rev limiter, etc. etc.
Once that's done, go back & repeat that 'update' process in order to remove the second vehicle's vin.