Amp research power step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve seen two videos on these steps. I’m surprised there’s not more folks doing this. What’s the deal? $$?

It’s on my list but further down.
For me it's cost plus the amount of work needed. Now if I was well off. Sure. But I also like stuff to last and I've seen these steps hang down on newer vehicles or have issues going back up

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you priced them out before asking? Last I checked it was $ 1000. That's fair chunk for a step. What's the reliability? I'm 6'3" 255, not your average. The design just appears a little light weight for the X large types.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve installed two sets, both came back a few months later with burnt out motors.

The install was a real pain. The supplied brackets are finicky and the instructions are unclear.

It also took a couple months for aamp to send us replacement motors. they required the burnt out motors to be returned for warranty inspection before sending new motors out so we had to remove the steps from the customers vehicle.

Price does not dictate quality for these things. Not the AMP research ones anyway.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you priced them out before asking? Last I checked it was $ 1000. That's fair chunk for a step. What's the reliability? I'm 6'3" 255, not your average. The design just appears a little light weight for the X large types.
Oh I’ve priced em out alright. An easy $1500 new. Have been keeping my eye out for a used set.

Agree on the reliability, see too many newer trucks with one hanging down. Yikes.

But that’s why I asked the question. Who’s done it and what their thoughts were.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve installed two sets, both came back a few months later with burnt out motors.

The install was a real pain. The supplied brackets are finicky and the instructions are unclear.

It also took a couple months for aamp to send us replacement motors. they required the burnt out motors to be returned for warranty inspection before sending new motors out so we had to remove the steps from the customers vehicle.

Price does not dictate quality for these things. Not the AMP research ones anyway.
This is good info. Thanks!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Goodluck. I've always wondered about this
I wonder about the reliability on these too. The concept is great, but what works in theory, in actual practice may be another thing entirely.
I've seen so many Phord SUVs with these, and wonder how long they work, considering fomoco electric/electronic geegaws often are under engineered.....