Am I the only one not logical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got something in the mail today that I feel is a good fit for this thread. :biggrin:

A little backstory... For the past few years I've had two GMC 1500 door emblems saved in my Amazon wish list, GM part number 15551233, the ones with the tabs for use with body molding. The GMC lettering on the factory ones my Suburban has have faded from red to silver, so I wanted to have a nice set in case I ever manage to fix all the rust and paint the 'burb. Well one day recently they disappeared from my wish list. I did a little investigation and it turns out GM discontinued them. (Thanks to @MrPink for confirming that suspicion, BTW) So the logical choice would probably be to just delete them from the wish list entirely and not worry about it until I get the Suburban painted someday, right? Yeah, I didn't do that. :lol:

I started frantically Googling and discovered that there were two of them still listed on eBay. One in a parts warehouse in Pennsylvania, and the other somewhere in the UK. I ended up spending over double what it would've cost me to buy them when they were still available on Amazon, but the one from the UK just showed up today and they're both in great shape. Mission accomplished! Now these get to sit on a shelf here instead of somewhere else.

You must be registered for see images attach
Awesome you were able to score those :) who would've ever thought they'd be hard to find?

Let me share a REALLY hard one to find with you: the "Intimidator" script for my truck's tailgate. Consider these trucks were made for ONE year, and less than 1,000 of them built. The tailgate script is slightly smaller than the script used on the doors, so it doesn't look crowded. (I think it was also used on the door/rocker moldings, or possibly the deck lid, on the Monte Carlo Intimidator SS edition.) So I figure out the part # and go hunting, along with all the other parts needed, before booking the truck for body and paint.

This single emblem listed for $300+.. and I found it for about half that. The dealer just threw it in a simple padded envelope, and USPS folded it in half :( :( :(

It's warped, and broken right in between the "i" and "d" ...

Would it be OK? Maybe? Maybe not? Then I thought about how much I was spending on body and paint and said NOPE.. got the dealer to replace the emblem, which was amazing to me that they even had another one to send. You can't find these AT ALL anymore.

Putting all the little stuff back on for the trip home. Headlights, park lights, taillights.. man she was shinin'! By the way, all the replacement emblems - the 3 "Intimidator" scripts, and 3 "SS" letter pairs, cost over $500 at the best prices I could find for them back in 2015.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The dealer just threw it in a simple padded envelope, and USPS folded it in half :( :( :(

Stuff like this has happened to me multiple times. I'm actually dealing with that same situation with a cab emblem right now. So frustrating.

I was happy to see that the door emblem I bought from the UK was packed incredibly well. They wrapped it in paper, then thick double walled cardboard, then put it in a massively oversized box (think a little bigger than a shoe box) and surrounded it in corrugated packing material. I wish everyone would pack fragile things like that.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I got something in the mail today that I feel is a good fit for this thread. :biggrin:

A little backstory... For the past few years I've had two GMC 1500 door emblems saved in my Amazon wish list, GM part number 15551233, the ones with the tabs for use with body molding. The GMC lettering on the factory ones my Suburban has have faded from red to silver, so I wanted to have a nice set in case I ever manage to fix all the rust and paint the 'burb. Well one day recently they disappeared from my wish list. I did a little investigation and it turns out GM discontinued them. (Thanks to @MrPink for confirming that suspicion, BTW) So the logical choice would probably be to just delete them from the wish list entirely and not worry about it until I get the Suburban painted someday, right? Yeah, I didn't do that. :lol:

I started frantically Googling and discovered that there were two of them still listed on eBay. One in a parts warehouse in Pennsylvania, and the other somewhere in the UK. I ended up spending over double what it would've cost me to buy them when they were still available on Amazon, but the one from the UK just showed up today and they're both in great shape. Mission accomplished! Now these get to sit on a shelf here instead of somewhere else.

THis reminds me of a couple of golf club heads I have laying around. I played golf through college and have used the same sand wedge since I was 14 (I'm currently 53). It's some knock-off generic club that my dad picked up way back then. In the last 10 years or so, I've found two of the heads like mine on eBay and purchased them. I still use the one I've used forever, but those heads are laying around . . . just in case. :33:

Last edited:

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I almost bought used steering gear mounting bolts from eBay for 60 BUCKS because I wanted to do the job that weekend and couldn't find the right size at any hardware store around. Wound up knocking some sense into myself and ordering them from Fastenal!

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
And since I'm the OP and can hijack my own thread, what's up with buying two or three (or more) of some rare item/accessory/part just because we find more than one? I get that we can pass it along to someone that's looking, but aren't these items many times just sitting on shelves for years? Exactly how many XXXXXXX parts does one go through in a lifetime (you fill in the blank with that rare piece)? :biggrin::biggrin: Still not logical! This, of course, is for us general enthusiasts and not for anyone that's into flipping parts or doing multiple restorations.

Last edited: