Am I doing this right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkcustoms881

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas needle fix, So I watched a video but I’m still confused on where the oil is going?
I bought the super lube have the 3ml syringe Is the lube suppose to go down between the shaft and the shaft holder?
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Put the oil in your syringe, pit it onto the shaft. Pull a vacuum with he syringe, with the motor on top of the syringe, then, turn that upside down. Let the air bubble work it's way through the thick silicone oil. Once it does, flip things rite side up, and force the oil into the plastic motor housing.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular oil. Is that only 100 cst? This project calls for a min of 10,000 cst waight silicone oil, up to 50,000 cst weight. So thick, it almost won't flow at all. I found mine at a RC hobby shop. It is the same oil used in the differentials on RC cars and trucks. I just went in our local RC hobby shop, and asked for some RC diff oil. It is almost hard to force this stuff through the syringe, it's so thick. Thing is, if you use a thinner fluid, it will leak out a lot quicker.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Why not just replace the air core motor? They had been available on ebay for about $40, I think... I haven't checked recently. One day, I'll do my gas gauge.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was looking, the fuel stepper motor was the most expensive by far. They are NOT interchangeably. I want to say the fuel motor was well over $100 but
I could be wrong. Also the fuel motor is the hardest to find.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
that fluid stops the bouncing crazy needle right? my Sierra's gas gauge reads correct but it bounces all over the damn place.
Yes, it does. The gauge had fluid in it from GM when it was new.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I was looking, the fuel stepper motor was the most expensive by far. They are NOT interchangeably. I want to say the fuel motor was well over $100 but
I could be wrong. Also the fuel motor is the hardest to find.

It's been several years since I've looked, so I could be mis-remembering, or maybe the situation has just changed.