Aluminum radiator install 99 gmc 7.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
32f.....is that part of an sae standard? I always thought it was just below operating temp, not neccesarily freezing.

Yeah, the first number is 0*C and the 2nd is 100*C, freezing and boiling point of water. If you ever see a HTHS rating that's the viscosity in centistokes (cSt) at 150*C, that's a number I care about as a track rat. Oil weights are generic, cSt is what viscosity is truly measured in.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5-30 oil is better for cold start.
My 96 G1500 actually ran lower pressure at hot idle with 10-40, identical brand and type of oil, than it does with 5-30.
10-40 is still to far of a spread. To get the spread they actually add plastic to it. I agree lighter oil is better for start up, but usually everything is already lubed unless it's been sitting too long, then If you want to get picky, you really should get the pressure up before firing it up.
But that's what the lower rating is for. If you had 10w oil, it would be definitely be thin enough. There are no bearing clearance differences between an engine that factory calls out for 10-30 vs 5-30. My 1990 Honda has an ambient temp chart for it. 30w oil is ok for it on everything but under 32°

Synthetic ftw.

Run what ever oil you like in your truck, but the main reason they started specing lighter oil is for emissions.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-40 is still to far of a spread. To get the spread they actually add plastic to it...
Synthetic ftw.
Plastic is oil, and synthetic oil, especially, is plastic. I'm not really concerned that they add it to the oil so long as it lubes.

Run what ever oil you like in your truck, but the main reason they started specing lighter oil is for emissions.
And performance. And cold-weather starting. So long as the thinner weight doesn't accelerate the wear on your engine there are no downsides.

OBSBurban

Reaction score
That's what I would do. I wouldn't run without tranny cooler either. You should just need two pipe thread plugs for the engine.
Well I went to Lowe’s, Ace, Advance auto, oreilly’s, autozone, NAPA, tractor supply and three different local plumbing and hydraulics shops and apparently NOBODY has these fittings. I’m done. Ordered a new oem style radiator and returning the all aluminum one. Sucks but I got other projects going on with this truck and I need her mobile because I can’t Jack her up safely where she is currently sitting. I mean the oem radiator held for a while. Im not hauling trailers everyday with her but I just wanted the reassurance of a 3 core rad. North Carolina isn’t Florida (where I just moved from) but it gets plenty hot here as well. Thanks for the advice though.