Aluminum radiator install 99 gmc 7.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MT454

Reaction score
Installed aluminum radiator and now cannot adapt OIL cooler lines...motor oil not transmission those are fine. They are not quick connect they are oring nipple. someone out there has had to put in an aluminum radiator right???

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define "aluminum radiator".

The one I installed was an OEM-style aluminum core with plastic tanks. The tanks had the correct fittings to accept the stock oil cooler hose ends.
They are not quick connect they are oring nipple.
"THEY"? They, the oil cooler hoses? or they the fittings in your new radiator? On my vehicle, both sides were the correct O-ring-sealed fittings. The radiator had the correct fittings to accept the tube-and-O-ring. I'm thinking the nut holding it all together is 13/16 hex, but I had to buy 20mm tools to get it apart--one nut was seized in the original radiator. The other came out with some effort. The 20mm fit tighter than the 13/16.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it listed as “Correct Fitment”?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the oil cooler lines have o-ring type fittings? What type fittings does the radiator have for the oil cooler? I'm a fan of not chopping the ends of the factory lines off if you can get adapters.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think some years used quick connects at the radiator and some used fittings more like fuel lines..... o-rings with a external threaded nut basically. I have no idea what those are called. My 99 uses the o-rings.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I find myself in the same situation as you Erik. Did you figure anything out for your rig?

I have access to a truck shop, and couldn’t find anything that will work after scouring 4 stacks of Lawson bins and raiding the random fitting totes.

I’m tempted to return the radiator.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I bought a eBay aluminum rad. I had good luck with the one I installed in my 360 powered CJ5. The trans cooler lines seem good to go, but the oil cooler lines were kicking my butt.

I ordered some RW8044 brass fittings that are supposed to adapt it. I won’t know for sure until they arrive next week.