Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What brand to buy? The two alternators I put in my 98 each lasted 2 years almost to the day. One was Ac Delco one was Powermaster. Anybody make them out of quality parts anymore?

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fwiw, I have my starters and alternators rebuilt. The local guy doesn't leave me along side the road.

These guys like to hide in plain sight. Ask around. There is probably a rebuilder nearby.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good output @ idle because of the Wye windings inside vs. the delta windings most of the others use.
How does the Wye winding improve output at idle?

I've always favored Wye windings, but only because they can be tested with an ohmmeter; delta windings can't be.

Had no idea there was a difference in output related to the style of construction.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
How does the Wye winding improve output at idle?

I've always favored Wye windings, but only because they can be tested with an ohmmeter; delta windings can't be.

Had no idea there was a difference in output related to the style of construction.
I really don't know how but that's what the rep from Powermaster told me. At the time their 100 amp alternator could produce 70 amps @ idle (2400 alternator rpm) and the Summit equivalent could produce 20 amps but both could produce 100 amp at highway speeds (6000 alternator rpm).

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DC Power Inc, Mechman, and Ohio Generator are a few other popular names in the aftermarket high output alternator world. I have a smaller one from Ohio Generator on my red truck, it's taken quite a beating for the past decade plus and is still working great (knock on wood). None of these brands are cheap, but I believe they all have options for very high (think 150A+) output at idle. Probably overkill for most people, but if you're running a ton of lights/fans or a giant stereo they might be worth a look.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DC Power Inc, Mechman, and Ohio Generator are a few other popular names in the aftermarket high output alternator world. I have a smaller one from Ohio Generator on my red truck, it's taken quite a beating for the past decade plus and is still working great (knock on wood). None of these brands are cheap, but I believe they all have options for very high (think 150A+) output at idle. Probably overkill for most people, but if you're running a ton of lights/fans or a giant stereo they might be worth a look.

Ya my truck is just stock no extra stereo or LED lights or anything but I do tow a bass boat at times so some extra lights but nothing major.
As to Powernaster maybe it is superior the card that came with it says it tested @100A-idle, 115-cruise, 126-top end, but it did not last any longer than the Delco one.

Last edited:

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of high power stereo equipment and was looking into a 200 amp alternator. Thanks for the suggestions. I am also running two batteries.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all 3 brands listed are fantastic. i'd add in singer (not stinger) alternators as well. i know multiple people with dc power alts with 100k+ miles on them. i myself have 2 singer 370a large case alts (and 1 CES 370a), which are rated for about 220a at idle.

if you want better idle output (and cooling to go along with it, more surface area), use a large case alternator like ad244 or dr44. a 220a large case alt will do about 180a at idle, whereas a 220a small case will do about 155.

hairpin alts are better than delta winding alts hands down. easy way to tell is if the stator looks like a bunch of hairpins side by side. they're a bit more expensive but worth the performance gain imo.

You must be registered for see images attach