Alternator question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this begs my next question........

I have CS144 that checks out good on the parts store bench tester, but I need the connector-adapter from the square plug of the CS144 to the oval plug that's on the truck that is used for the 105 amp alternators (CS130 ?). I know they make them but didn't find any that I can tell for sure will work. Anybody have any links?
Grab an aan ad244 300a alt for $198 on eBay, a oval plug $6 on eBay, and never worry about voltage drop anymore. I beat the snot out of my aan alts (have a pair of 300a on my truck, been abused for almost 2 years now. Do big 3 upgrade and voltage is all I can handle.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, that is something I should check because I have "custom" length bolts that protrude so I can clip jumper cables on the terminals.
I run a dual terminal battery for that reason. Lots safer to use the posts on top than trying to get jumper cable clamps in the small space between the battery and the air cleaner box.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have confirmed that your voltage is 14+, then most likely it's your gauge. On my C1500, it hovers around 13 and except for fairly cold morning, never gets over 14. Also, similar to yours, mine will fluctuate with the turn signal and when my headlights are on it will drop a few marks as well.

I pulled the alternator this morning and brushes are good,, battery connections seem good. I just finished driving it around and it now reads 13.9 on my multimeter (instead of 14.6+ on cold start) and the volt meter gauge has dropped. Seems as though when the alternator gets hot in the engine compartment it reduces the output.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have confirmed that your voltage is 14+, then most likely it's your gauge. On my C1500, it hovers around 13 and except for fairly cold morning, never gets over 14. Also, similar to yours, mine will fluctuate with the turn signal and when my headlights are on it will drop a few marks as well.

Installed a new alternator on my 96 Express cargo van last month. Previously the gauge read a little below 14 volts and would fluctuate with turn signals and drop when headlights or blower were turned on. With new alternator the gauge reads a full 14 volts and does not fluctuate even a bit regardless of what I turn on.

Alternators performance does decline over time.