Alternator question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Do you now if the CS144 has one wire coming out of the connector like the 105 amp alternators do?

I had to go look..... yes one wire, but it looks like it's sealed inside the connector, so no swapping plastic housing swap would be possible.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
So this begs my next question........

I have CS144 that checks out good on the parts store bench tester, but I need the connector-adapter from the square plug of the CS144 to the oval plug that's on the truck that is used for the 105 amp alternators (CS130 ?). I know they make them but didn't find any that I can tell for sure will work. Anybody have any links?
Summit Racing has them. Powermaster makes several types

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
The rectangular connector for the CS144 is ACDELCO PT1742--RA wants $35 for it.

Looks like Alternatorman has a adapter harness: https://store.alternatorparts.com/partnod1w1206.aspx

Both alternators have four male pins but only one wire coming out of the connector, I wonder if they are ganged together in the connector?

GM pinouts for their alternator regulators are either P-L-I-S or P-L-F-S. If you only have one skinny wire on it, chances are it's brown and on the "L," terminal. If there isn't a wire on the terminal, it's not hooked up. No secrets in the plastic connector! :waytogo:

Now your other options. Your current alternator sounds like it's fine and charging. Although the gauge needle might be misleading, those are acceptable voltage ranges. If you wish to upgrade anyway...

If you want to upgrade to your CS144 (because, free!), you can either buy that adapter harness you mentioned earlier (easily reversible) or de-pin your rounded connector for the rectangular one. If you have a junkyard nearby, that would be the cheapest option for finding one of those rectangular plugs.

Last option that costs a bit more...If have an internal fan on your alternator and a rounded plug, you have a CS130D. Since it's a '96, you can drop in a 140 amp AD244 alternator and reuse your current connections and have more oomph at idle - no plug changes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade to your CS144 (because, free!), you can either buy that adapter harness you mentioned earlier (easily reversible) or de-pin your rounded connector for the rectangular one. If you have a junkyard nearby, that would be the cheapest option for finding one of those rectangular plugs.

That was my suggestion, but I later found out that the connectors are sealed from the back, at least on my 99...... there is no de-pinning/re-pinning possible.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14.6v wont boil a battery....cold alts always charge higher than when hot.

alts stop charging either from an internal issue (usually regulator) or issues with the turn-on wire, which turns on the regulator.

our air-core dash gauges aren't the most accurate thing either especially when theyre 25+ years old. if you've verified voltage is 14v+ at the battery when the gauge is reading an entire large tick lower, then i think its safe to say its the gauge acting up.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
That was my suggestion, but I later found out that the connectors are sealed from the back, at least on my 99...... there is no de-pinning/re-pinning possible.

You're correct on sealed from the back, I de-pinned my old CS130 plug and an AD244 plug from the front! The seals were just boots crimped on the wire, looked similar to this after removal:

You must be registered for see images attach