Alternator ( Power steering brkt.) 14102081

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I'd like to hear someone's thought on the supports. The pictures of vortec motors with radial compressors I've seen didn't bother with any supports. I didn't look for a different style accessory bracket though; I figured the cast AL was strong enough and the supports were there just to make GM feel better.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What's the issue with running the original support rods when you have Vortec heads? I haven't done Vortec heads on a TBI so I haven't experienced this setup. I'll take a wild guess and assume whichever intake you choose to run, since it can no longer be the original TBI intake, doesn't have the attachment points for the original supports?

I'd say the supports are probably necessary to keep stress off the brackets. They're going to have some degree of force pulling on them under the tension of the belt and motion of the accessory drive. I'm no engineer but engineers don't usually get away with adding -anything- to a design that isn't necessary, because it gets bean-counted right out. "Why are we spending this extra 5 cents per vehicle on this support rod?"

Richard

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
What's the issue with running the original support rods when you have Vortec heads? I haven't done Vortec heads on a TBI so I haven't experienced this setup. I'll take a wild guess and assume whichever intake you choose to run, since it can no longer be the original TBI intake, doesn't have the attachment points for the original supports?

I'd say the supports are probably necessary to keep stress off the brackets. They're going to have some degree of force pulling on them under the tension of the belt and motion of the accessory drive. I'm no engineer but engineers don't usually get away with adding -anything- to a design that isn't necessary, because it gets bean-counted right out. "Why are we spending this extra 5 cents per vehicle on this support rod?"

Richard

Yes, sir; intake bolts are in a different position.

I feel the same, sometimes angrily, engineers have their reasons. I'll get something figured out for my setup when the time comes.