Alternator help…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind people going with crazy big wire; it's their money. As I said, I'm running a 0 gauge starter cable because I had it on hand. However, while I'd pay to move up from the dinky factory wire sizes, I'm not going to pay extra to put supersize wires on it. Just don't go smaller, because that's how you get fires.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow a lots been going on since I looked at the thread. I’m still waiting for a new alternator plug to get here that’s been ridiculous. When it does get here I’ll be hooking up the sense wire.

So far everything is still running smooth and doing well.

When I did the big 3 upgrade I used 2 gauge on the grounds and charging cable. It made a big difference on pretty much everything electrical in the truck. Admittedly most of the difference was probably more from clean connections than the size of the wire but bigger wire didn’t hurt either.

Whenever Iv wired electrical things on my truck Iv always built the circuits heavier duty than they needed to be and then used an appropriate sized fuse. That way it should be pretty safe in the event of a problem.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so its been a while. I got the sense wire hooked up and I do believe that it made a difference in the voltage staying higher at times. right now I ran the sense wire to the battery but later I want to run it to the fuse box connection. but before I do that I want to replace the power wire from the battery to the fuse box because it is a pretty green color in the wires at the battery.