Almost thirty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you're looking for an option to play music off your phone, into the radio i have a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and connects to your phone over bluetooth, then the device broadcasts your music over a frequency and boom, not cutting or hacking required and you got blue tooth. its called a t11
https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Blu...t11&qid=1569532980&smid=A14L9DIA3NK9B0&sr=8-1
heres a link to it on amazon, its only $13! i love mine

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I would keep the cap, it meant something to him to have it installed within two weeks and so it's as old as the truck. To separate it now..

I bet he did custom order it, does it still have the window sticker? You should upload it here and the RPO codes from the glove box.

The fender edges/wheel lips are always the first to go. Edges in general. Ziebart is also pretty bad as it's a rubberized type coating, it will flake off and trap moisture. Oil/wax type applications such as Krown T40 or Fluid Film are the way to go. Ziebart is only ok for those who have it done and then never expose the vehicle to elements; it'll keep the flash rust off but so will any rattle can paint job. As long as you don't intend to drive the truck in the elements it'll hold up and won't get much worse than it is now.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet he did custom order it, does it still have the window sticker? You should upload it here and the RPO codes from the glove box.

The window sticker isn't with the truck, but I'll have other family members be on the lookout for it while they are cleaning out his house. Here is a pic of the glove box RPO code sticker.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Doesn't look like it to me. My red '97 was custom ordered and it has the RPO code "SLL" which means "Sold Orders." I don't see that on his sticker.

Nice truck, though!

Gary Mettus

Reaction score
I got my Dad's 1990 GMC K1500 Extended Cab with a 350 and F44 option last year this time and drove it 3,000 miles from Pittsburgh to Phoenix with a mint 1970 Westinghouse console stereo (biggest damn one ever made) wrapped in a tarp in the back. It only had 39k miles on it when I headed back home! Problem was it sat for 4 years unregistered, he was 92 when he passed. Looking back I was lucky to make it all those miles without a problem. Obviously, it needed a new battery to start and a fuel filter to run smoothly. Tires were 30 years old, honestly, so I replaced those before the long trip. It had a misfire and luckly I was able to see a spark jumping from a plug cap to a heat shield and all it took was rotating the cap a couple of degrees to eliminate the misfire. I did a full tune up when I got it home. Then the real fun began; essentially anything that turns needed repairs due to sitting for so long. Power steering pump, water pump, alternator, starter, front differential seals, A/C compressor. It runs fantastic now. I wanted to keep it all original including all the scratches, dents and other marks (he was pretty hard on the exterior). I consider these Dad Patina but the inside was like brand new. I kind a liked the quarky stereo and didn't think it sounded too bad but it had a whine related to engine speed I could not eliminate so I bit the bullet and installed a new 45wpc Sony head unit with four 4x6 Kicker coaxial speakers and two 100wpc powered subs under the front seat. There is no comparison in sound but I kept the old stereo for down the road originality. While I had the interior side panels out (what a *****) to get at the rear speakers I only had to take the front A pillar panels off to get the headliner out. When I left Pittsburgh the headliner was fine but with the windows open and the wind buffeting the headliner it started to droop. Once I had the headliner out I pealed the fabric off which left old deteriorated foam on the fabric and headliner which actual came off very easily. I tried putting the same fabric back on and it looked OK at first but the adhesive wouldn't hold. I found a local guy who only charged $110 including new materials to install new fabric on the headliner and $25/sun visor (they were horrible). Worth every penny!
I really haven't even changed my own oil in the last 35 years (I'm a retired financial controller who worked for car dealers and I always had mechanic friends) but when I was a kid my Dad's vehicles never saw a mechanic and I was number one helper/gopher. He was amazing and there wasn't anything he couldn't do. I guess it started when he was a motor pool sergeant in occupied Korea after WWII. I have amazed myself in what I remember working with him and what I can find on youtube. It has been a blast for me working on my Dad's old truck and it is a great memory of him for me. I hope you have as much fun with your truck and enjoy its uniqueness.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, instead of doing an audio upgrade first, I've decided to renew the suspension and steering components while doing the 2/4 drop. This week I ordered upper and lower control arms, springs, tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, center link, idler arm, and pitman arm.

As long as I have to be working on the front end while installing the drop spindles, I might as well start fresh. Thinking about also going to the HD brakes from the '92 and up to get the 1.25" rotors.