Alldata.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
right to repair doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge for the online info. This attempt comes and goes every few years but has died off some since the OEMs have expanded the info on their sites the last few years.
We pay for a couple OEM sites and have four aftermarket pay providers.
I really like Mitchell sometimes Identifix. We still have All Data, have for over 20 years
but they are behind the others in keeping up to date. I also use CCC because it is inbedded in our estimating and timeclock system.
With all the aftermarket sites, the quantity of data drops as you get into older vehicles.

Kineticarts

Reaction score
$20 per year per vehicle? No thanks, that's not a bargain.

The manufacturers should be releasing this data for free. There's a lot of momentum growing behind right-to-repair, and I'm a fan of it.
Politically speaking, I'm with you on that. I'm also down with bringing shop class, home economics, economics and art back to our public schools. But as a troubleshooter and technician, I'm a bit leery of that word "should". :)

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When newer John Deer combine's O2 sensor gets condensation on it at night, it bricks the computer and can't be started. It currently requires a JD tech to come out, communicate with a satellite and turn the computer on--at a $500+ per service call. Farmers are now letting the combines idle all night to keep the condensation at bay.
How carbon neutral is that?!

Kineticarts

Reaction score
right to repair doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge for the online info. This attempt comes and goes every few years but has died off some since the OEMs have expanded the info on their sites the last few years.
We pay for a couple OEM sites and have four aftermarket pay providers.
I really like Mitchell sometimes Identifix. We still have All Data, have for over 20 years
but they are behind the others in keeping up to date. I also use CCC because it is inbedded in our estimating and timeclock system.
With all the aftermarket sites, the quantity of data drops as you get into older vehicles.

What are "Mitchell", "Identifix" and "CCC"? Would they be handy services for a hobbyist who likes the puzzles that old GMs present?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DoD now requires all the engineering data be included in their contracts so that when parts suppliers disappear or try and coerce the government into paying double the price once they're committed to a system, the government can hire another contractor or organically make or repair parts. It makes for a huge cost savings down the road.

CountryNights

Reaction score
Motologic is another good resource that if you make friends with your local pros or old timers at Aap they might help you out?

Kineticarts

Reaction score
The DoD now requires all the engineering data be included in their contracts so that when parts suppliers disappear or try and coerce the government into paying double the price once they're committed to a system, the government can hire another contractor or organically make or repair parts. It makes for a huge cost savings down the road.
That makes a lot of sense. I wonder when, and on what kind of equipment, the contractors started getting away with obsoleting necessary components of the things they would supply? Back in the seventies I used to repair and maintain Korean era electronics for the Nat'l Guard and when we needed some odd tube or something we didn't have in the supply room, I'd get sent up to my Dads electronic distributorship to pick it up at retail. I don't remember anything being made of unobtanium. That doesn't mean there weren't any components we couldn't get, just that I don't remember.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few years ago I signed up for it and instantly regretted it. The process was painstaking and the amount of emails I received from them was irritating. I would much rather have the service manual.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are "Mitchell", "Identifix" and "CCC"? Would they be handy services for a hobbyist who likes the puzzles that old GMs present?
similar to AllData, AllData is just better known among DIYers. Part of it is personal preference, even among techs, some like one better then the other.