Alldata.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any member ever use this site? I would really like vehicle specific electrical schematics. I have being trying to find an open from my knock sensor to the PCM. It is trucking me nuts, with the mil light on. And at the rate the snow is falling right now, ain't going to be till July when I can check it out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I used to use it (or whatever version the Houston Public Library system has) when I was in a different part of Houston. There was a library right down the street from me. I found it to be a little more informative on my mom's Chrysler Pacifica than on our trucks, but maybe it has improved. This was 3 or 4 years ago....
What year is your truck? There's a few threads on here that have shop manual information on the early style 400 trucks (88--95).

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use the alldatadiy version all the time. Highly recommended. I think the commercial shops have a different version maybe?

Comparing with the GM manual, it looks like alldatadiy essentially digitized it and made it searchable.

PDF scans of most manuals to 1998 are here...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the alldatadiy version all the time. Highly recommended. I think the commercial shops have a different version maybe?

Comparing with the GM manual, it looks like alldatadiy essentially digitized it and made it searchable.

PDF scans of most manuals to 1998 are here...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember how thick those Gm service manuals were when my friends dad owned a Chevy/Gmc dealership. Thxs, will check it out.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to use it (or whatever version the Houston Public Library system has) when I was in a different part of Houston. There was a library right down the street from me. I found it to be a little more informative on my mom's Chrysler Pacifica than on our trucks, but maybe it has improved. This was 3 or 4 years ago....
What year is your truck? There's a few threads on here that have shop manual information on the early style 400 trucks (88--95).
All my info has been on my profile page since day one of joining. But I have noticed a lot of members do not fill that out. So when a question is asked, you may not know what they currently truck around in. All Good.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup the 99 set for my Burb is 4 volumes, each 2 or 3 inches thick. The newer trucks are worse; the set for our 06 is 6 volumes, and $500 to order from the publisher through GM.
Back in the 60s and 70s, the Chevy manual was a "service " volume that covers most repairs, an " overhaul " volume for actual rebuilding components, and the Fisher Body manual for that year for body components. And you could order them from the publisher, Helm did the Chevy ones, with an order form in the back of the owner's manual. If you go back into the 50s, and before, it's all in 1 manual that's 2" thick at the most.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup the 99 set for my Burb is 4 volumes, each 2 or 3 inches thick. The newer trucks are worse; the set for our 06 is 6 volumes, and $500 to order from the publisher through GM.
Back in the 60s and 70s, the Chevy manual was a "service " volume that covers most repairs, an " overhaul " volume for actual rebuilding components, and the Fisher Body manual for that year for body components. And you could order them from the publisher, Helm did the Chevy ones, with an order form in the back of the owner's manual. If you go back into the 50s, and before, it's all in 1 manual that's 2" thick at the most.
When I was a Warranty Eng for Komatsu Canada, one of my jobs was to read all the service manuals fresh of the boat from Japan. It was my position to look for translation errors. OH VAY, is that how you spell it? LOL

Kineticarts

Reaction score
I've been using alldatadiy.com off and on since 2001. It's good! They sell you a subscription to one particular vehicle for around $20 per year. Since they are just presenting the info in the dealers shop manuals on-line, there are some minor annoyances, but it's good info. I suspect that for your 96 they will have at least the pin location where the signal is supposed to come into the connector and the wire color, but not how that wire is routed through all those harnesses.

As for finding your particular open I'll suggest you look for a place where the wire from your knock sensor enters the harness and see if there is a bend in the wire that could have been repeatedly flexed by vibration or bounce of the harness to the point there the wires conductor could have been broken by metal fatigue but the insulation was still intact.