Air Conditioning GHOST HUNT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johawk94

Reaction score
Added a can today, no help at all. At this point its going to the chevy dealership next week to hopefully find whatever gremlin is keeping it from working.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Added a can today, no help at all. At this point its going to the chevy dealership next week to hopefully find whatever gremlin is keeping it from working.

That stinks. Let us know what they find.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry you had no luck with the extra can. I think you are about where I was a month ago. That is "to the point of lightening the old wallet and getting the damn thing fixed". Like you I worked with it for a while but there comes a time (usually when the temps hit the 90's ) to bite the bullet and get it done. I expect you have arrived at that point.

As I mentioned in another post, the rule of thumb is spending two new truck's worth of payments every year to keep an old truck going. I have hit that level this year with the AC but I think it is worth it. Good luck and let us know what they find.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In need of help! I have replaced every A/C component on my truck from the evaporator to the condenser.
High and low pressure hose
High and low pressure switches (all 3)
Compressor
Accumulator
O-tube
Condenser
Compressor relay
A/C Switches inside car
Evaporator
All wires and connectors are in good shape

The system has been charged and has no leaks. My A/C is only cold randomly.

When its not working the compressor will cycle on and then immediately cycle off.

Occasionally the compressor with cycle on and run but the accumulator wont sweat or get cold.

I have no idea whats going on please help!!
1. Why replace "every" component including the switches?

2. What are the high- and low-side pressures?

3. WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS?

4. What happens if you jump the clutch connections so that the compressor runs? I would be trying to figure out why the compressor engages, then "immediately cycles off".

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In need of help! I have replaced every A/C component on my truck from the evaporator to the condenser.
High and low pressure hose
High and low pressure switches (all 3)
Compressor
Accumulator
O-tube
Condenser
Compressor relay
A/C Switches inside car
Evaporator
All wires and connectors are in good shape

The system has been charged and has no leaks. My A/C is only cold randomly.

When its not working the compressor will cycle on and then immediately cycle off.

Occasionally the compressor with cycle on and run but the accumulator wont sweat or get cold.

I have no idea whats going on please help!!

1. Why replace "every" component including the switches?

2. What are the high- and low-side pressures?

3. WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS?

4. What happens if you jump the clutch connections so that the compressor runs? I would be trying to figure out why the compressor engages, then "immediately cycles off".
This can be quite easily be caused by high pressures caused by not enough air flow.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This can be quite easily be caused by high pressures caused by not enough air flow.
I assume yours is a pick up pictured. You replaced the lot of parts-I know for a fact that unless it's dedicated ac garage regular dealer will do exactly that-start replacing parts. I don't think yours has dual ac-so we talking simple front system only. I'd start with jumping pressure sensor on the drier to see if that starts the compressor and what happens then.
Did you put the dye in the system? If not-do that and look for possible leaks thoe even with leaks it should work for a short while.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something else just crossed my mind-maybe your blend door actuator doesn't open-close properly and doesn't mix the air as it should. This could explain it. Im shooting in the dark here but did you check it?

Johawk94

Reaction score
Just a timeline
Side note- im not a professional but not an amateur by any means.
Truck is a 1997 Chevy Silverado 5.7 350. Motor runs good, A/C was inoperable when I got the truck. Original owner told me the a/c had not ran in years. I started with the easy stuff first
compressor
accumulator
Lines
O-tube
Condenser

Ended up have the common issue with removing the accumulator from the evaporator so I ended up taking the dash out. Got charged up and no luck then went after the electrical components everything electrical works. Scheduled to go to the Chevrolet shop next week. Will update when they find something.