Air Conditioning GHOST HUNT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johawk94

Reaction score
In need of help! I have replaced every A/C component on my truck from the evaporator to the condenser.
High and low pressure hose
High and low pressure switches (all 3)
Compressor
Accumulator
O-tube
Condenser
Compressor relay
A/C Switches inside car
Evaporator
All wires and connectors are in good shape

The system has been charged and has no leaks. My A/C is only cold randomly.

When its not working the compressor will cycle on and then immediately cycle off.

Occasionally the compressor with cycle on and run but the accumulator wont sweat or get cold.

I have no idea whats going on please help!!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a return to that shop or find another one that knows what it is doing. Did you replace the parts yourself or depend on others to do it? Somewhere along the line a ball may have been dropped. It could be something like crud in one of the lines immediately clogging a new part. It can be maddening but in this case you may need an expert and plan to spend some money. I speak from recent experience. My wallet is lighter but I am really enjoying the cool AC in hot and humid NC which is very similar to Augusta. Good luck and let us know what you find.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow my 94 rcsb took 36oz (3 12oz. cans) of 134a from empty or 2.25lbs.If yours is the same your 12-13oz low on 134a.Bet if you add a can of 134a you'll have cold air.

Last edited:

Johawk94

Reaction score

Johawk94

Reaction score
Sounds like a return to that shop or find another one that knows what it is doing. Did you replace the parts yourself or depend on others to do it? Somewhere along the line a ball may have been dropped. It could be something like crud in one of the lines immediately clogging a new part. It can be maddening but in this case you may need an expert and plan to spend some money. I speak from recent experience. My wallet is lighter but I am really enjoying the cool AC in hot and humid NC which is very similar to Augusta. Good luck and let us know what you find.
I did install everything myself. I just couldnt justify spending the extra $1k for someone to install it all, not to mention i have a really good parts hookup so i got everything probably 1/4 the cost of the shops would charge. These last few weeks have been pretty dang hot and at this point i just want to get in my truck and not have to worry if my A/C is going to work.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kudos to you if you put your own evaporator in i am dreading the day when mine springs a leak.If and when it does someday i think i may extract it from the engine side of the firewall by cutting a slot the firewall and removing that way instead of removing the dash and risk cracking it.Also i don't think i would take it back to the same shop because it is pretty basic the amounts of oil and refrigerant and they got it wrong .When you add your 12oz can they have new self sealing cans that require special adapters now but anyway purge the air out of the lines so just refrigerant goes in and don't hold can upside down while charging you could harm compressor. (slug it)Have can lay sideways or upright while charging and let it take the whole can cause thats what your short.

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These last few weeks have been pretty dang hot and at this point i just want to get in my truck and not have to worry if my A/C is going to work.

I think @man-a-fre is right about you getting a short charge. I hope they got the right amount of oil in . They obviously didn't thoroughly test it when they finished. Good luck and let us know if more freon fixes it.

As I mentioned, our weather is very much like yours and I definitely understand the bit about wanting the AC to work when you turn the key. Hope the extra can makes the difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tjclar86