Air Bags for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ancho

Reaction score
You can use the compressor & sensor for air bags. Tha compressor from a salvage yard will only set you back $10 to $20 & they last forever.

Ahh, that makes a little more sense to me. Thanks.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, that makes a little more sense to me. Thanks.

That's what I'm probably going to end up doing.

I dropped by the junk yard today and I found a caddilac that I think has air suspension

There is this little tube going to the shock absorber in the back
You must be registered for see images attach

so then I looked in the Engine compartment and I found this which I'm pretty confident is the compressor.

so then I got to the best part (the part that is the most expensive aftermarket)
The sensors. I'm also the most unsure on this part. I think it's that little square box that is connected with that linkage.

I'm not sure how those work as they look like they are connected to the wishbone of the suspension. They must just calculate if the suspension squats down for a certain period of time then it must be extra weight and not be a bump or something like that.

The main thing that concerns me about this is how tiny the air tubing seems to be. If the tubing is any indication of how much the compressor will flow then it seems like it might take forever to fill up these

I kinda think that even if it did take a long time I could probably find a way to use the sensors and all the control circuitry and use that to control a bigger pump like a Firestone. I'm pretty good with electronics so wiring it up wouldn't be a problem per se.

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have everything you need except the wiring diagram. You might want to install a tank & wire the sensor to a solenoid. When the truck sets down then it will open the solenoid until it reaches the proper height again. Then use a pressure switch to turn the compressor on when the pressure in the tank gets too low.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have everything you need except the wiring diagram. You might want to install a tank & wire the sensor to a solenoid. When the truck sets down then it will open the solenoid until it reaches the proper height again. Then use a pressure switch to turn the compressor on when the pressure in the tank gets too low.

That would be my ideal set up for sure. That would require some fairly extensive modifications to the OE system which I'm willing to do but I'd just need to get the parts pulled and back home before I could start messing around with that too much. I'm still a little worried about how well that pump will flow. If I had a tank that would help the situation but I'd hate for the pump to have to run for 15 minutes or more to fill the tank back up. I don't even know if the duty cycle of the pump would allow for that.