Air bag install - best way to remove rivets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy folks -

I'm getting ready to install a set of Airlift air bags to the rear of my '99 K2500 Suburban. I figured it was going to be a pretty simple install... drill a couple of holes and mount them right up. I took the rear wheels off to knock it out yesterday morning and found I was sorely mistaken............ I have to remove the factory bump stop bracket!!!

I avoided this task yesterday, but need to get after it pretty soon. What's the best way to take this thing off? I'm thinking my only option is to drill out the rivets, but I'm hoping that someone out here has done it before and at least has some tips or tricks to make this an easier task.

Lemme know!!

- Steve

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy folks -

I'm getting ready to install a set of Airlift air bags to the rear of my '99 K2500 Suburban. I figured it was going to be a pretty simple install... drill a couple of holes and mount them right up. I took the rear wheels off to knock it out yesterday morning and found I was sorely mistaken............ I have to remove the factory bump stop bracket!!!

I avoided this task yesterday, but need to get after it pretty soon. What's the best way to take this thing off? I'm thinking my only option is to drill out the rivets, but I'm hoping that someone out here has done it before and at least has some tips or tricks to make this an easier task.

Lemme know!!

- Steve

I always use a cut off wheel and make a X on the rivet head then take a air hammer with chisel end and bump the "four" heads off then air hammer punch them the rest the way through. I have drilled them before but if you have access to a air hammer its the way to go in my opinion.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
x2 on the above. Once you grind the X in the head, there's not much left of it. If you don't have an air chisel, grind the rest of the head off, and drive the rivets out with a punch.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found an even easier way to get it the bump stops removed - have your exhaust guy do it while he's got the truck up on the lift already!

I installed the airbags this weekend and am very pleased. Install was fairly easy (only had to drill one hole), although the instructions could be improved. The bags helped get rid of the saggy spring look and improved the ride a bit. I towed my camper on Friday after the install and she performed great! Sat nice and level even with ~800lbs tongue weight.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No pictures.... I was surprised as well when I crawled under there thinking it'd be a simple install. Not sure if mine was a one off or what, but they were definitely rivets and they are definitely gone now!