aftermarket tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who did you use for the Ram. White Lightning, Hemifever or Jay Greene?

I tuned my own cammed 5.7 swapped 4.7 Ram when SCT was the only thing around to tune them and it was still fairly new. Would probably still have the truck today if HP Tuners had supported them back then. I kept smoking transmissions because they could not take the torque of the cammed Hemi on the stock 4.7 trans tuning and swapping in a 5.7 controller would have meant changing harnesses both under the hood, under the dash, as well as swapping out the SKIM module, etc.

Hemifever, Sean is the MAN when it comes to the modern hemi. He really worked hard and gave a $hit about my feedback and finding that perfect tune. He uses SCT but helped me with a stacked tune using Superchipps for some trans control and SCT for ECM parameters.

I hear ya on the HP tuner thing - I cooked my trans twice as well. Went with a Sharadon and had good results. the key on them was never go WOT into OD and no WOT downshifts. My set up wasnt wild by any means, cam, heads and a generous amount of dope. I got my stock block 4x4 into the low 12s.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Very true... I was referring to torque management though. Honestly after my experiences I'm choosing to leave mine at the factory settings even with my 4L80E. I'll take durability over neck snapping shifts any day.

Torque management isn't where the power is locked up, it's in the torque reduction tables that nobody ever talks about. Stock the 5.7 is capped at 85% of its max torque output, and that's with the lame stock timing map. I ain't skeered of the 4L80 blowing up so that garbage is zeroed out on the 1500, shift times cut down and yes it will snap your neck on a WOT 1-2. It's like a slingshot, pretty cool. Looking now I believe I only cut it by 50% on the dually, that's gonna make some juice with the blower (being rebuilt now!) and gets loaded down a bit more than the 1500.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hemifever, Sean is the MAN when it comes to the modern hemi. He really worked hard and gave a $hit about my feedback and finding that perfect tune. He uses SCT but helped me with a stacked tune using Superchipps for some trans control and SCT for ECM parameters.

I hear ya on the HP tuner thing - I cooked my trans twice as well. Went with a Sharadon and had good results. the key on them was never go WOT into OD and no WOT downshifts. My set up wasnt wild by any means, cam, heads and a generous amount of dope. I got my stock block 4x4 into the low 12s.

Sounds like a good running truck. LS guys continuously underestimate the Hemi engine. My 06 was setup very similar to Randy's 06 except no nitrous. Stock block 5.7, stock heads, Sidewinder cam, long tubes, exhaust, APS 2,800 converter and 4.56s. I got more than a few 8.50s (~13.20 1/4 equivalent) 1/8 passes out of it. Went 13.59 on the 20s at the now defunct Dallas Dragway.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque management isn't where the power is locked up, it's in the torque reduction tables that nobody ever talks about. Stock the 5.7 is capped at 85% of its max torque output, and that's with the lame stock timing map. I ain't skeered of the 4L80 blowing up so that garbage is zeroed out on the 1500, shift times cut down and yes it will snap your neck on a WOT 1-2. It's like a slingshot, pretty cool. Looking now I believe I only cut it by 50% on the dually, that's gonna make some juice with the blower (being rebuilt now!) and gets loaded down a bit more than the 1500.

Torque reduction as well as torque limits. When I put the tri-y headers on the Express van, suddenly I lost a ton of low-end torque. Datalogged it and the timing was well under what was being commanded in the spark table. I ended up figuring out that I was hitting an engine torque limit and the PCM was pulling timing. I raised that limit to something the 350 would never reach naturally aspirated and the timing came right back. I also turned off Brake Torque management in the system options. Once brake torque management was disabled, if I wanted I could power brake the van into a massive burnout whenever I felt like it. Not the easiest thing to do with the 4L80Es tall 1st gear, the 30.5" tall P275/50R20s and a 3.73 G80 at the time.

Daniel Brown

Reaction score
I'd love to go to run shorty headers to a full 3" true dual mandrel bent system, with high flow cats and Magnaflow mufflers, but damn that'd be expensive to get built up.

-------------------------------
Honestly, a tune and a decent cat-back exhaust will wake the truck up quite a bit; I know when I went to my internal-x Jones muffler my truck felt peppier.

Daniel Brown

Reaction score
I recently installed BBK shorty headers with an evans fischer cat and magnaflow cat back exhaust system in my 5.0 vortec 1996 and it really made a difference in low to mid range torque. Smoothed out the engine nicely. It was expensive but well worth the money...

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently installed BBK shorty headers with an evans fischer cat and magnaflow cat back exhaust system in my 5.0 vortec 1996 and it really made a difference in low to mid range torque. Smoothed out the engine nicely. It was expensive but well worth the money...

The BBKs are nice. I put them on an Escalade with a small elgin cam and volant intake along with the magnaflow high flow cat setup and magnaflow exhaust for a Tahoe. It ran really well. With a S10 4.3 torque converter and tune PCM it would really get up and go.