aftermarket tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that, and replace the stock exhaust and cats

No real reason on a 2500+ truck to change anything but the muffler unless you are going to long tubes. From the factory they had dual 2.75" or dual 3" pipes and very free flowing cats.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my original cats were clogged up somehow, it didnt want to run above 3K rpm, when i changed them it ran 100% better

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to go to run shorty headers to a full 3" true dual mandrel bent system, with high flow cats and Magnaflow mufflers, but damn that'd be expensive to get built up.

-------------------------------
Honestly, a tune and a decent cat-back exhaust will wake the truck up quite a bit; I know when I went to my internal-x Jones muffler my truck felt peppier.
yes, i did the whole magnaflow stainless system from manifold back including 2 hi flow cats, it cost me about 1,200 and they were having a 25% off sale when i bought it

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my original cats were clogged up somehow, it didnt want to run above 3K rpm, when i changed them it ran 100% better

Plugged cat is a different story all together. My guess is bad injectors or someone neglected the tune up for too long and burned the cats up.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, i did the whole magnaflow stainless system from manifold back including 2 hi flow cats, it cost me about 1,200 and they were having a 25% off sale when i bought it

I redid the exhaust on someone else's 454 truck that also had plugged cats, with that and a tune he went from about 7 mpg to 14 mpg average.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I redid the exhaust on someone else's 454 truck that also had plugged cats, with that and a tune he went from about 7 mpg to 14 mpg average.

****, come do my exhaust then; I'm averaging about 10.22 now, doesn't matter if I baby it or drive it like I stole it.
Maybe it is time to delete those troublesome cats off my truck....

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
****, come do my exhaust then; I'm averaging about 10.22 now, doesn't matter if I baby it or drive it like I stole it.
Maybe it is time to delete those troublesome cats off my truck....

Haha probably take it with a grain of salt since that is the report from the guy I did it for Rather than my own measurements, but either way it improved a bunch and ImI guessing it wasn't all tuning.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank God they weren't dumb enough to try that.

And he probably means leave the tune alone in general since the 4l60 can be killed by the stock tune.
I've got 30,000 miles on a blackbear tune , tm removed. My 4l60e hasn't exploded yet. It scoots unloaded real well

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got 30,000 miles on a blackbear tune , tm removed. My 4l60e hasn't exploded yet. It scoots unloaded real well

Mine did too... Right up until it didn't. That truck sees WOT shifts at least once every time I drive it though.