Aftermarket Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for a little help. I’ve tried a few things and looked in a few spots and having trouble.

Truck is a ‘98. Lights are Amazon combo lights. Stick bed and lights are gone, working on a camping bed/flat bed on my truck. These are the lights I ordered. Can I make them work?

I’ve tried and wired how I though they would go, how I’ve read they should go and so on, but not finding success.

I’ve had them wired, but brake fuse blows. I’ve realized I probably can’t get separate blinkers? Anywho, wondering if these will work or if I need to keep my search.

Lights are five wire, and the other are the truck. If it’ll work, what goes to what and what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also say, if someone has a better suggestion on some good aftermarket lighting instead of what I’ve purchased, I’m all ears

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edited -see posts below for solution.

Attachments

• EA54850D-457D-46A0-8930-268711757D36.jpeg
    EA54850D-457D-46A0-8930-268711757D36.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT400 trucks use the same filiment for brake and turn signals. You cant just wire in a seperate set of yellows and reds, a wire converter is needed to extract the brake signal from the turn signals:

RED WOLF Trailer 2-to-3-Wire Splicer-in Taillight Converter Wire Harness Connector Separate Turn Signal Brake Light Set up for Trailer RV Dinghy Towing Pickup Car Trucks Vans https://a.co/d/33hDy3U

The later 800 trucks have the yellow, and the trailer harness has and uses an opposite converter, one that combines brake and turn signals.

Lastly, you're gonna need an EP29 turn signal flasher to avoid hyperflash.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the white/red/yellow, I assume the:

Red is brake
Blue is reverse
Yellow is turn signal
Kinda green is probably parking lights
Black is probably ground

Test for accuracy, I can't test for you through the internets...

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
to wire it without doing extra work would be to wire the red to to what normal tail light bulb does. Leaving amber unlit, then reverse is reverse. if your truck(I have no idea if they do) have dedicated trailer circuits , it may have an independent turn wire, if it does, I would just steal that. Which means you would have to do something about the red from also doing it unless you dont care

Do these trucks have dedicated circuits? my 96 f150 has them all fused and separate despite the rear turn/stop/tail being like how gmt 400 is