Aftermarket RKE with factory power lock actuators?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched several topics but couldn’t find an answer to this one: My ‘95 Sierra K1500 has the factory AU3 power door locks but NOT the remote keyless entry. I recently added a very inexpensive RKE system to my ‘05 WT and it works great. Has anyone here used one of these aftermarket receivers to power the factory actuators?

I’m guessing it would be easy to adapt, possibly using relays in the most difficult case. Seems as it will take all new door harnesses and a new module and remotes, as well as having to have a dealer flash the ECU to add the factory remotes. I’d love to have the nice factory remotes but it’s hard to justify buying so many parts since aftermarket systems are reliable at about $20.00.

Just curious if anyone here has already done it before I jump in.

Thanks,
Tom.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone here used one of these aftermarket receivers to power the factory actuators?

Isn't this what all aftermarket keyless entry systems do? Or are you asking specifically about using factory remotes? If the latter, I don't think there's any way to make that work without installing the entire factory keyless system from another truck. Aftermarket keyless systems generally need proprietary remotes/fobs and aren't compatible with anything else.

I'd send a message to @Wh4t3v3rs. He does mobile electronics for a living and can hook you up with a nice Viper/Avital keyless system with all the necessary relays and wiring info for your specific truck.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't this what all aftermarket keyless entry systems do? Or are you asking specifically about using factory remotes? If the latter, I don't think there's any way to make that work without installing the entire factory keyless system from another truck. Aftermarket keyless systems generally need proprietary remotes/fobs and aren't compatible with anything else.

I'd send a message to @Wh4t3v3rs. He does mobile electronics for a living and can hook you up with a nice Viper/Avital keyless system with all the necessary relays and wiring info for your specific truck.
Yeah…. Only time I’ve ever messed with one they supplied the actuators. I’m GUESSING that actuators are actuators and any aftermarket RKE system can use anyone’s actuators. But I thought I’d ask in case I’m missing something.

I looked at the Viper stuff but couldn’t find a unit that only does lock/unlock. Seems as if they all have alarm, starter disable, remote start, etc. I want to KISS.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes actuators are actuators like you said, and you can "actuate" them any way you want. They just need a signal, you can use an RKE kit and tie it in, a remote start, an autoloc wireless kit for accessories etc. Some remote kits have built in relays, some you may have to add, but all in all not very difficult to do

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Avital 2101L sounds like it would do what you're looking for:

https://www.avital.com/Products/KeylessEntrySystem/5006/2101.aspx

They're made by Directed (DEI), the same company that owns Viper.
That does look to be what I’m looking for. The $20.00 unit I put on my W/T is still working after about four months but I kind of knew that truck wasn’t THE truck for me. I’m expecting this ‘95 to be my keeper so I don’t want to put cheap electronics in it.

Thank you.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure your '95 already has a relay for the door locks, you just need to tap in with the aftermarket system. Prior to '95, a regular 2 door 400 pickup had the locks wired direct, so it was wise to add relays with an aftermarket system (the aftermarket units aren't designed to carry the load of direct wire to an actuator) - the moredoor trucks had a factory relay.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure your '95 already has a relay for the door locks, you just need to tap in with the aftermarket system. Prior to '95, a regular 2 door 400 pickup had the locks wired direct, so it was wise to add relays with an aftermarket system (the aftermarket units aren't designed to carry the load of direct wire to an actuator) - the moredoor trucks had a factory relay.

Richard
I installed an Avital on my 96 Reg. Cab and still needed to add 2 relays. IIRC, an extra cab doesn’t need added relays.

Attachments

• 65F138D2-1A07-495E-B84B-8FE3CA8E1463.jpeg
    65F138D2-1A07-495E-B84B-8FE3CA8E1463.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 29