Aftermarket Headlights and Grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m7871

Reaction score
Hi all,
Its my first post.

Im looking to swap my 1990 chevy c1500 headlights and grille to the composite headlights and grille as I currently have the w/t grille and lights.

What is the best brand for aftermarket headlights? Are the aftermarket grilles any good for the 88-94? The 88-94 trucks at the scrap yards here are beat and the headlights are faded and yellowed

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend sticking to OEM grilles. The aftermarket ones aren't as well built and most of them have funky little differences from the originals that look weird IMO.

As far as headlights go I would suggest either the Spyder HD-YD-CCK88-C if you want glass housings, or Anzo 111004 if you want plastic. I've had the Anzos in both of my '97s for a few years, I like them a lot.

Glass Spyders:
https://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-Chrome-Crystal-Headlight/dp/B004WMF8SG

Plastic Anzos:
https://www.amazon.com/111004-Chevrolet-Crystal-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B0015PPZMC

Truthfully though if I were you I'd at least consider keeping your W/T grille and going with a set of TruckLite or GE LED housings. There are no LED solutions for the composite style grille/headlights that are designed properly, but your W/T grille will accept some awesome (although pricey) LED housings. Like these.

GE W/T 5"x7" LEDs:
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-69822-Rectangular-Replacement/dp/B00BQX2BSO

As an additional resource on headlights in general (and why you shouldn't use drop-in LEDs or HIDs for the composite housings) check out this thread. It's long and convoluted at times but there's a ton of good info in here.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

Reaction score
The Trucklite / GE (same product) LED sealed units are fantastic, with one caveat. The lenses don't get warm enough to melt snow. A heavy snowfall can render them useless in five minutes of driving. That's the voice of experience speaking. One other small complaint: for the price, they shouldn't have a hotspot in the pattern, but they do. Other than that, they're bright, nice white light with a sharp cutoff, fully legal and look cool too. Not quite as good as a quality HID setup, but no work to retrofit as these are plug and play.

JW Speaker makes an even better model, available with heated lenses to solve the snow problem, but it comes at a very hefty price.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
as for the aftermarket grilles...
the ones I have actually seen, are well... aftermarket grilles... none close to GM grille IMO. you can buy a new GM grille which will co$t a grip and reviews are mixed even on those... I found a used GM grill at a yard that was in good shape for $80

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'll put in my two cents as well about aftermarket grilles: don't get one. Period. I had a repo Chevy grille on my truck, once I got a factory GMC grille on it, I'm never going back! The factory grille just fit so damn good.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped out the composite headlight for the quad 88/89 style they never get cloudy i love em. i would go for the glass spyders.
i guess i have it good salvage grills go from 20 to 40 bucks

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
+100 or whatever we're up to on avoiding the crappy aftermarket grills.
Had a Chevy and GMC Repro grill on my 96, they both fit like ****, they both cracked, and were just not in the best shape quality wise.
I found an OEM GMC grille and it fits like a hot damn, no cracks, solid all the way around. Best $15 I've ever spent at the salvage yard.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Got my GMC grille for $10, HA! lol, just teasing, $20 is still good for an OEM grille. Another salvage yard locally wanted $40 for a GMC grille that was in no better condition than mine.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto..once bought an after market grille for my '95, fit like CRAP, never secured well and was loose :mad: Since I'm got two excellent GMC grilles for $25 each at a local "You Pull" salvage yard :)

Headlights..Like you I'll be watching this thread for advise