Aftermarket Fuel pump ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-iron

Reaction score
I have a 96 k3500 crew 7.4L that I'm restoring. I'm a little over my head but I wouldn't have it any other way. I hear about low fuel pressure so while I have my gas tank out undercoating the frame I'd like to add a high pressure fuel pump. Can anyone point me In the right direction in buying a fuel pump? I'm having some cam work done also and not sure about keeping the vortech intake

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact Walbro. They should have what you're looking for.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pressure on your fuel system is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator. The pump only supplies the volume required to achieve the correct pressure for the fuel delivery system. The air/fuel ratio can then be properly be controlled by the feed-back from the O2 sensors and the VCM/PCM adjusting the injectors duration. Increasing the volume by installing an aftermarket fuel pump will only cause the fuel pressure regulator to work overtime.
Either pump, aftermarket or OEM like the ACDelco EP381 will not last long if the fuel tank has dust, dirt and other debris in it. You indicated the tank was out while coating the frame. I would suggest following the cleaning procedure that GM placed in service information. Get the hottest water you can pour into the tank, rock and vigorously shake to clean. Dump the remainder of water & fuel if any according to local and state rules, but wipe the tank out and place in a warm area to facilitate evaporation of any tank moisture. Wipe with a clean paper shop towel then install fuel pump / sender assembly. Inspect electrical connectors for dis-coloration, burn't or speed terminals and replace if need. Use new O-ring and use dielectric grease on the connector prior to installation routed away from exhaust components.
Now unless your racing, added over-sized valves, modified camshaft and trying to achieve a 10 second quarter mile, I would not spent the extra money. But use proper cleaning procedures and install a new fuel pressure regulator for proper fuel pressure. It's you money. But why do replacement pumps fail quickly and come with instructions that indicate a clean tank is required to get warrantee.
ASE Master Tech since 1978 / Retired

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need an upgraded pump if all you're doing is a cam and maybe an intake. David ran a supercharged 454 off a stock pump with no booster. Due to his success, I intend to do the same though I will initially check that the fuel pressure is in fact holding steady up top.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Walbro pumps are for serious power, I wouldn't even consider one for an application like this unless you went big cam and lots and lots of boost. Stock pump, if healthy, should be more than sufficient.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I hear about low fuel pressure so while I have my gas tank out undercoating the frame I'd like to add a high pressure fuel pump.

Low fuel pressure is from a pump going bad (or other related fuel problem), not an undersized pump.