Aftermarket Coolant Sensor thread Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 k1500… purchased new gages. It came with an aftermarket coolant sensor. 1/4 NPT. The old sensor was bad, so i needed ro replace it anyway. I know with the oem u dont use teflon as the threads act as ground. But with the aftermarket it comes with wired ground. Should i use teflon on the 1/4 - 1/2 reducer? Will be stainless.. ive got plenty from tubing fittings & pipe fittings at the plant.

Also, the one on the driver side is for the gage correct? Single wire .. just have to add ground.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't use Teflon (PTFE) TAPE. Use a liquid pipe-sealer with a Teflon (PTFE) additive.

Loctite 592 strongly recommended. Easy to source locally, or via Amazon.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2/?coliid=I2C34IAJPLZFEQ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Other Locktite "PST" products (565, 567, and the "chap-stick" semi-solid, among others) similarly recommended, harder to source locally.

Loctite/Permatex/other brands of "Teflon" sealer that come in a tub with a brush on the lid are NOT particularly recommended.

I expect you'll need a reducer bushing to go from the threads in the cylinder head down to 1/4 male NPT.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite bought Permatex in '72, but Permatex was sold again in '99, and again in 2005 to Illinois Tool Works (ITW). Loctite is now owned by Henkel. But, yes, Permatex 592 and Loctite 592 are--or were--the same wonderful product.

I think part of the sell-off involves an ongoing agreement to cross-brand products, but I don't know that for sure. It just seems that way.