Advice on dying carpet on door panels 95-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 97 k1500, the carpet sections on the door panels are killing me. Any advice on dying or potentially wrapping those sections to make them look better would be great. Thanks!

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it on my 99 Tahoe with great results! I used Leather Magic! Carpet & Fabric Upholstery Dye Kit along with a bottle of Leather Magic! Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner that away if something when wrong I had only used one companies products.

If I had it to do over I would just pick up a bristle brush from Wal-Mart instead of buying the complete dye kit. The whole process is very time consuming because you have to constantly brush the area of carpet you are working on. This keeps the carpet from getting stiff when it dries. Overspray is wiped off quite easily with a rag and rubbing alcohol.

I used the kit to 2-tone my door panels was sick of all the gray!

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the carpet dye from Detail King. Inexpensive, easy to use and no stiffness worries.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to dye everything black but I haven't seen anything done that looks right...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SEM makes great interior dyes. I used them in my WS6 to convert it to a ebony interior before I could afford the actual ebony panels. Turned out great and without a shiny fake looking appearance.

Reaction score
I used the sem products as well. All about the prep work. Lots of scrubbing and cleaning. Did the interior in the limited about 5 years ago. Went all black. Held up pretty well. Actually the only parts that have smeared or faded were the under dash kick panels and the carpet on the lower door panels. Ill take a few pics tomorrow in the light for you

Pics
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I two toned mine, with spray paint. Before I get flamed for using it:

1)I live in the country on a dirt road, so the likelihood of me keeping it spotless is slim to none.
2) I also went this route because if I needed to replace the door panel for any reason, I wanted to be able to match it.
3) I was creating a custom paint scheme on a budget.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my truck was that ss type red.....i went gray IMO black looks kind of out of place. tahoe mk3's looks good. after the early red all gray is a upgrade.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the sem products as well. All about the prep work. Lots of scrubbing and cleaning. Did the interior in the limited about 5 years ago. Went all black. Held up pretty well. Actually the only parts that have smeared or faded were the under dash kick panels and the carpet on the lower door panels. Ill take a few pics tomorrow in the light for you

Pics

That looks awesome. Just got me thinking about it again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk