Advice on 5.7 rebuild and performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dk47

Reaction score
Plan on pulling and rebuilding the 5.7 vortec in my 97 Silverado after 199,000 good miles. I want to increase hp as much as possible but still keep it good for an occasional daily driver. I'm gonna research, buy parts, and then pull it. Any advice or experience with this will be greatly appreciated.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are going to get a bunch of different answers on this.
But they will need these answers first. This forum is great at spending others $$$.
What is your budget and timeline for this project?
Are you good at pulling wrenches?
Have a 2nd vehicle for the downtime or is this a long weekend project?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add to what Drunkcanuk said. If you can find an engine out of a wrecked or otherwise total loss truck that has not been in a flood or burned down to the ground, you should probably consider picking up an inexpensive used engine as a core to build. If your current engine is running solidly and you need to depend on the truck for transportation needs, it makes more sense to snag another core. You can then pull that engine apart, inspect the condition, have it cleaned and checked by a machine shop especially if it is your first build, the necessary machine work performed if it needs more than a light hone or slight touch up on the crank, and then you can build it. I do not suggest trying to do a quick driveway rebuild on something you need for daily transportation; something will always bite you in the butt. In today's world figure at least 3 weeks at a machine shop if not longer, then up to 6 weeks waiting on back ordered parts and if it is your first engine a week or two of late evenings actually building the thing. Depending on what you have tool wise it may be better off to buy a GM short block or have a quality machine shop tackle it. Bad thing about that is usually limited to no warranty on the work.

Last edited:

Dk47

Reaction score
I will add to what Drunkcanuk said. If you can find an engine out of a wrecked or otherwise total loss truck that has not been in a flood or burned down to the ground, you should probably consider picking up an inexpensive used engine as a core to build. If your current engine is running solidly and you need to depend on the truck for transportation needs, it makes more sense to snag another core. You can then pull that engine apart, inspect the condition, have it cleaned and checked by a machine shop especially if it is your first build, the necessary machine work performed if it needs more than a light hone or slight touch up on the crank, and then you can build it. I do not suggest trying to do a quick driveway rebuild on something you need for daily transportation; something will always bite you in the butt. In today's world figure at least 3 weeks at a machine shop if not longer, then up to 6 weeks waiting on back ordered parts and if it is your first engine a week or two of late evenings actually building the thing. Depending on what you have tool wise it may be better off to buy a GM short block or have a quality machine shop tackle it. Bad thing about that is usually limited to no warranty on the work.

Dk47

Reaction score
I have another truck for daily driving. I was figuring 1500 to 2000 doing the labor myself except the machine work. I have built a few engines, the last on a couple years ago was a 351 in a early 80's bronco. No computer, no fuel injection etc.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My .02c. your budget is not "huge", but it's realistic for what I'm about to say.
Yank it, strip it down, take to machine shop, bore it .030, have them go through the heads, maybe a valve job (30⁰ if I remember correctly, probably don't) mild cam, headers, exhaust and tune.
You won't be putting 500hp down, but being refreshed with a few hop up parts and a tune, will make it feel like a new motor.

Dk47

Reaction score
My .02c. your budget is not "huge", but it's realistic for what I'm about to say.
Yank it, strip it down, take to machine shop, bore it .030, have them go through the heads, maybe a valve job (30⁰ if I remember correctly, probably don't) mild cam, headers, exhaust and tune.
You won't be putting 500hp down, but being refreshed with a few hop up parts and a tune, will make it feel like a new motor.
Thanks. That's sort of what I had in mind. What about the injection system, is there any hp to pick up there? I also was thinking of headers and true dual exhaust, but don't want loud mufflers. Thanks again

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you start messing with that, the $$$ and ease of tuning go out the door.
You could probably get away with upping the fuel pressure, but I'm more familiar with the TBI than the Vortec system.

Dk47

Reaction score
Once you start messing with that, the $$$ and ease of tuning go out the door.
You could probably get away with upping the fuel pressure, but I'm more familiar with the TBI than the Vortec system.
By tuning do you mean sending the computer off and have it done? Also what about the exhaust

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, unless you have access to a tuning program and know how to use it, you would have to send it away to someone like Black Bear. IF you deviate too far from stock.
Exhaust, is how much you wanna spend, keep the cat? Anything you do to open it up will make a difference, within reason. You DON'T need a dual 3" for what you want to do.
I have full length headers, no cats and true dual exhaust, 2 1/4", should have went 2.5" but I'm basically stock(for now). Has "turbo" mufflers, nice rumble once "burnt in", when you get on it, makes some nice noise, but not enough to be obnoxious.