Advice: Diagnosis tool with cam retard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383Dreams

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am putting our 97' Silverado back together, replacing the lifters and intake gasket for now. I had to pull the distributor and cycle the engine a good bit to adjust the lifters. Now I can get the distributor in ok, but I need to set the cam retard, and will need a scanner probably. I mean, I could cut a hole in the top of the cap :D But I have had my eye on a diagnosis tool for a long time. I take care of several vehicles for the family.

I have been looking at Autel's line and possibly the MS906 Pro. Yet, I can't find if it will show the cam retard setting. Does anyone have experience with Autels? What tool do you turn to for diagnostics? Old school trial and error is growing old as my hair grows gray. ;)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a Snap-On MTG2500 (similar to MT2500, but with some graphing capability) for 20-something years. Did everything I needed it to, EXCEPT auto-bleed the ABS on my '97 K2500. It would auto-bleed the ABS on my 2003 Trailblazer, but not the '97. I could get codes, and see the data for the wheel speed sensors, and such, but no auto-bleed on the '97.

When that died due to my stupidity, I replaced it with a Snap-On Solus Pro, from 2008, (8.2 software) that had coverage up to 2007. Again, does everything I need EXCEPT auto-bleed the ABS on my '97. Coverage goes back to 1980 1/2 for GM, a year or three later for Ford, Chrysler, and various Asian cars. European software was extra-cost.

The Solus Pro with 14.2 software will auto-bleed the '97 ABS. I think that feature was added around the 10.2 edition of the software pack, but I don't have a definite timeline.

A REAL, PROFESSIONAL-GRADE scan tool gets you compatibility with the engine, transmission, ABS, air bags, instrument cluster, and anything else that's computer-controlled. DEPENDING ON THE VEHICLE, you can command idle speed, AIR switching, turn on all the light bulbs on the instrument panel, swing all the gauge needles from one side to the other for testing, and a hundred other useful "tricks"...you have FAR more complete diagnostic testing and monitoring than typical consumer-grade scan tools.

I got my used Snap-On Solus Pro shipped to my door with a battery, charger, owner's manuals on DVD, some OBD-1 vehicle adapters, the OBD-2 adapter and a fistful of Personality Keys, and a bigass suitcase to hold it all, for $350, on eBay. More-typical pricing is $400--$500; and some folks think theirs is worth $1000. There is NO more support from Snappy for the Solus Pro, so don't think you can get it updated with later software. You can't.

383Dreams

Reaction score
I shopped around for a Solus Pro with at least 14.2 software, but they are in the $600-$900 range. And that is for an unsupported device that only works with older vehicles. It might still be worth it if I only worked on this 97' pickup. But it already will not work on the wife's mini cooper. So I shall have to keep looking. Thank you, though! I did go look.

On another note, apparently I got lucky with the distributor. Though I had rolled the engine over several times while adjusting the lifters, I dropped the distributor in at TDC, and it started up and ran perfectly with no check engine light. It even seems more responsive than it was before. I'd say it's well enough until I drop in the 355.
:)

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you still want to check and adjust the cam offset. It can be out-of-spec but not turn on the MIL. When it's out-of-spec, the voltage has to jump a larger-than-optimum gap from rotor tip to distributor cap terminal.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it does not set off a code up to + or - 13. Even my cheap Amazon obd2 code reader and Dash Command app will let you adjust the Dizzy.