Adjusting the Band on a 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know rhino and a few others know.

I remember putting my trans back together and there was a way to adjust the band. The reason I am asking is that I don't think my rebuild and Transgo is shifting as hard as others have stated it should. I probably have a couple of hundred miles on the trans now and it never really shifts hard from first to second, but shifts stronger than it did. Can't seem to find the information I remember reading that stated the band adjustment

Edit: I remember it being in the servo.......which is a corvette servo and transgo parts. I think I need to remove one of the washers in the servo? I can't find my instructions anymore.

Last edited:

93TL93

Reaction score
I believe in the transgo it has you add shims to get a firmer a shift. I put a superior kit in mine so im not sure on the transgo

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I know little about transmissions, but I believe the computer adjusts the line pressure to determine the hardness of the shifts.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man, unfortunately the only way is to adjust the pin length. They make 3 different length pins, you can identify by the rings on the tip. A 3 ring is shortest, 1 ring longest. Also tech pac makes an extendo pin that makes it a little longer. If your band is worn, missing 2nd gear, and you want a few more hundred miles it will help. Sometimes I have had to grind a 3 ring shorter to get a good clearance. If you think about how many different companies are making these bands. All are outsourced in China. So they aren't always factory specs. Hardly ever are they dead on. Thankfully "close enough" usually works fine on this clearance. If the band is to tight however, you will get that slide shift that is mushy. Too loose and it hits to hard. Too too loose and its a big slip lol. I have a clearance tool here that snaps into where the servo is during rebuild that measures the clearance.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only shift that bothers me is the 1-2 shift. Under normal driving it feels stock, 50%+ throttle and it shift firm but not shocking firm.

I just want to make sure I don't burn the band out of it prematurely because its too tight.

93TL93

Reaction score
That is the way mine is also. Normal driving it feels no different than stock. Wot shifts are nice and firm. I have almost 10k miles on mine no issues yet.
I only have a vette servo and a spring from my superior kit installed in the servo though

Last edited:

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id have to go look through my stuff. I know that I have the corvette servo and the spacer/spring from the Transgo kit, just don't remember the number.

93TL93

Reaction score
I remember my instructions telling me to turn the screw on the force motor like 1/4 turn for firmer shifts but dont remeber which way. I never did it but probably will when i drop the pan in the spring