Additional brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe called a remote brake servo ?

Seems as though that is hooked up to rear most port on your master cylinder / maybe that is plumbed only to the front brakes (if that's what the rear reservoir on the master cylinder feeds)?

I wonder where the other end of that line leaving the remote brake servo leads to.

The link below describes a remote brake servo.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/servo.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

"Brakes applied lightly. Light fluid pressure from the master is applied to the bottom of the air-valve diaphragm, and also through the space between the push-rod and the slave cylinder ands onward to the brakes. Light pressure on the air-valve piston pushes the air-valve diaphragm up to the air valve, closing off the gap between the two, but not yet lifting the air-valve off its seat. Thus there is still the same air pressure both sides of the diaphragm and it remains pressed to the back of the vacuum chamber. This lack of assistance on light pedal pressure prevents the brakes coming on harder and more suddenly than one might wish."

"Heavier pressure on brake pedal. Heavier fluid pressure pushes the air-valve piston and its diaphragm further, which lifts the air-valve off its seat. This opens the air-valve allowing air at atmospheric pressure through the bypass pipe to the back of the diaphragm. With a depression on the other side the diaphragm is pulled forward, together with the push-rod, which closes off the gap between it and the slave piston, and pushes the slave piston along the bore to give a higher pressure at the outlet to the brakes than there is on the inlet from the master cylinder, which gives the 'boost' effect."

LOCKHEED-TYPE-REMOTE-BRAKE-SERVO

I know Jaguar E-types used a remote brake servo with a master cylinder.

One complaint that I've heard E-types owners have, is that the "reaction" valve (jaguar mounted theirs on the end of the master cylinder) sometimes sticks, leading to the brakes still being (boosted) applied after the pedal is released.

I would guess that if the reaction / air valve stuck on yours, you could just disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to your remote brake servo. You should still have power brakes from you master cylinder / booster (fluid should still pass by the slave cylinder / inside the remote brake servo).

Maybe that could be an good experiment for you, to simply disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the remote brake servo and experience the regular brakes ?

Last edited:

aball

Reaction score
Maybe that could be an good experiment for you, to simply disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the remote brake servo and experience the regular brakes ?
Good idea, I just tried this.
Obviously the additional booster is operating the front wheels only. After removing the vacuum line I was no longer able to get the front tires to lock until ABS kicks in.
I guess the two lines usually going from master cylinder to the EHCU are for front and rear brakes, right? In that case the additional booster is sitting in between the master cylinder and the EHCU for the front brakes only. Which makes sense.

Btw, I showed this setup to a guy who runs a shop for classic cars, he had seen this quite often in older sport cars like Lamborghini...

Thanks, Andreas.