Additional brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aball

Reaction score
Hi,

still figuring out what the previous owner changed on the car, I remember he told me that he added a second brake booster.
Is this a common thing to do? I never saw this before.
I have to admit that she brakes nicely, especially considering the 33" tires...

Shall I keep this or return to the stock (or GMT800?) brake booster?

Thanks, Andreas.

View media item 31928

aball

Reaction score
:)
I had a similar 4-door Tahoe 20 years ago and if I remember correctly, the brakes on my recent one are better and need less force on the pedal.
Anyway, I'm not convinced that this 'stacking' of brake boosters is the right way to go...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that was possible. If it works, keep it until it doesn't. I'm thinking the person that did that knew what they were doing. It looks pretty well done, to me.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. I thought there still had to be a pusher rod to activate the brakes?

mike73

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of any such thing. If you can figure out how that whole system works, I'd be very interested to know

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it’s a remote mount brake booster. Should be ran off the vacuum.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never seen or heard of such a thing. Seems like it would be more cost effective to grab the hydroboost off a 1-ton and the matching larger bore master cylinder. I did that swap on my 97 G1500 and it would nearly plant your face into the steering wheel after.

Edit-Looks like a remote mount booster for a street rod that came with manual brakes.

aball

Reaction score
I have no idea where the previous owner got the booster from.
Just keep in mind that parts are not easily to get here in Europe so I guess they just took what they could find and what fitted in the box.